We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Howcome Ryanair have become a tricky flight operator ??

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Howcome Ryanair have become a tricky flight operator ??

I had a booked flight to Stockholm, but there was a according Ryanair a scheduled maintenace that day and Ryanair suggested to re-book for "free" if delayed more than 3 hours (for "free" according e-mail from Ryanair) or cancel the flight with refund.

Since I had other bookings in Stockholm I chose to re-book for "free" and my flight was delayed 9 hours.

I booked a new flight but Ryanair charged the creditcard

And now Ryanair do not want to pay back.

It is in their policy not to pay back.

I had to book a hotel too for one night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Howcome Ryanair have become a tricky flight operator ??

You cancelled a non refundable flight and now want to know if the airline is a " tricky operator" ( whatever that is) because of it.

Shame you cancelled, depending on route you would have been due several hundred euro delay comp and duty of care ie hotel etc.

Guess you live and learn. However no they are not a tricky operator and if you cancel a non refundable ticket, no you don't get a refund, that's pretty standard.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Howcome Ryanair have become a tricky flight operator ??

Actually, I've just reread that,,,did you just not get on the flight or did you cancel, it's not clear? This would make you a no show and as such you forfeit any rights at that stage also.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,433 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Howcome Ryanair have become a tricky flight operator ??

Did you rebook through the link provided to you in the email? You're not supposed to just go on their site and book a new flight as usual.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Howcome Ryanair have become a tricky flight operator ??

Froggy, think you are wrong regarding compensation. If a flight is cancelled days before flight, not sure if there is a rule to how long before you fly. You are entitled to a full refund or an alternative flight for free. The delayed compensation rule may not apply to this.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 09:57
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,442 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Howcome Ryanair have become a tricky flight operator ??

1. We don't know when the OP is traveling. It could be months from now. He hasn't specified. So we don't know if this is a short-notice cancellation. If it is, he does have further rights. If it isn't, he only has the right to a refund or re-booking.

2. It seems clear that the flight was cancelled and the OP was offered the chance to get a refund or change to a flight that would be operating.

3. "I booked a new flight but Ryanair charged the creditcard " suggests to me that rather than following the re-booking/request refund link, the OP simply went on the Ryanair website and booked a new ticket, expecting that his card would not be charged. If that is the case, then the OP won't be getting a refund for that ticket. He could, assuming the flight is in the future, still follow the link and get a refund for his original flight. But he will be out the difference (if any) in the cost of the new flight.

Perhaps the OP could offer further clarification but as far as I can see there is nothing "tricky" on Ryanair;s part. Rather the OP has simply misunderstood what he needed to do, although IME Ryanair makes it quite clear.

6. Re: Howcome Ryanair have become a tricky flight operator ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 06:17