We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do flight prices fluctuate thru the day

leeds yorkshire
Level Contributor
325 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Do flight prices fluctuate thru the day

Ryanair has cancelled a morning flight from leeds to faro to a evening time. Which is no good to me.

Just wondered if flight prices change during the day, looking at a early morning Jet2 flight.

Best Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do flight prices fluctuate thru the day

Well all I can say is I buy a lot of flights and this never happens to me.. There is something else at play with the guardian guy, or he made it ip to fill an article. Would not be the first time a journo has done that. In fact I would put good money on the fact if his editor told him to sit down and show him the same experience would not happen again.

Either way it's very easy to prove, you don't need to believe us and you don't need to believe him. Go look at a flight, go back and look at it again, see what happens to the price. Delete your cookies and look again. Do it a second time, do it a third. What happened and did it happen each time.

It's one of the daftest urban myths out there because it is so very simple to prove or disprove.

Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Do flight prices fluctuate thru the day

That guardian article simply proves (as we probably all know anyway) that by and large journalists favourite sport is jumping to conclusions.

They did something, something happened, and immediately derived a vast and overarching theory. Which you can prove yourself is wrong simply by trying it yourself,as Froggy says.

What probably happened in that case is that someone else hada flight booking going either cancelled it or it timed out. Immediately those seats would have been released back to a lower priced "bucket" and the prices fell.

No vast and overarching conspiracy needed. The fact is,if it was as simple as that article and the urban myth makes it out,you'd see it yourself every time as Froggy says. But you don't. Of course, if you go on airlines site and look at enough flights, sometimes prices will rise. Occasionally they will fall. If you happen to delete cookies between the two, hey presto an urban myth is born. If they however DONT rise or fall after deleting cookies,well you'll keep trying, and just remember the times it happened and hey presto, you confirmed the myth again,

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do flight prices fluctuate thru the day

I may be wrong but I think that Ryanair flights are not at their lowest price when first published and that the prices can suddenly dip, either due to seats not selling well or cancellations, am not sure, however, have never been able to predict when this dip happens, is there any way of predicting it??

I booked a flight to Venice several years ago with Ryanair which I thought was cheap enough for the two of us then a couple of weeks later the flights were showing at £100.00 cheaper in total.

easyJet tend to show their cheapest flights when first published, and there doesn't seem to be the 'dip' that occurs with Ryanair.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,923 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do flight prices fluctuate thru the day

All I can add is that over the years I have made repeated searches on a daily basis for flights covering different dates with different airlines and whilst I have seen prices rise and fall none of them could be attributed to any cookie issue.

Whenever I have searched on my IPAD, which I hardly ever use for flight searches, rather than my desktop the results have never differed.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,820 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do flight prices fluctuate thru the day

If the cookie theory was true it would be the easiest thing in the world to prove. I've yet to see any proof.

16. Re: Do flight prices fluctuate thru the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 06:16