We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

Hi, I hope someone can help me as I'm a bit confused! I have booked return flights to Detroit from Heathrow on the Expedia website, and selected a direct flight with Virgin. On my confirmation email it says Virgin Atlantic, but the booking reference isn't recognised on the Virgin website. I tried it on the Delta website as it also says in the email "Virgin Atlantic 4017 operated by Delta airlines" and it recognised my reference and I could view the seating plan etc. So, I take it I'll be on a Delta plane and not a Virgin plane? Bit annoyed as I really don't like Delta but someone told me that's the only carrier who flies from the UK to Detroit? Can anyone help?

1. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 08:19
Edited: 31 March 2014, 08:19
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

Yes you will be on a Delta plane.

Several carriers fly from the UK to Detroit, both direct and with connections.But as you have already bought your tickets, it's kind of moot unless your fare is refundable.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,926 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

Delta owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic, and the airlines have an joint venture for transatlantic flights whereby all flights are marketed using both the DL and VS codes (and revenue is shared between the airlines).

I wouldn't worry. From what I've heard Delta is performing very well, and has the best on time performance of the US carriers. Note that as you're on Delta metal, the flight from DTW will arrive at Terminal 4 at Heathrow.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

When you book on Expedia, the itinerary suggestions spell out the carrier for each leg, long before you make your final selection and pay. If you look closely, you can make changes if there's an airline you'd rather not fly.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

Delta are the only direct carrier. You will see KLM, Air France, Virgin and Delta flight numbers but they are all operated by Delta

It does actually show this on the Expedia site with the list of flights

eg

Air France 3636 operated by Delta

KLM 6079 operated by Delta

Virgin Atlantic 4017 operated by Delta

the text is small and grey but is next to the airline logo for each flight

Edited: 31 March 2014, 21:08
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

Bit annoyed as I really don't like Delta

----------------------

Why? I've always found them very good. What is it you don't like?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

I regularly fly Delta between AMS and either Seattle or Portland. always economy and find them excellent.

Just out of curiosity, what is it you do not like about Delta?

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

Just had a bad experience with them way back in the 90's - haven't flown to the US for a long time, and I'm a nervous flyer so I want the journey to be as easy as possible! I did notice all the airlines said operated by Delta when I was booking, but I took it that I would be flying with the airline shown in bold not the one in small grey lettering underneath. Oh well, it seems Delta are improved on my last experience so I'll rest easy!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

"Operated by" is the same as "flown by" and for the sake of other questions you may have, you will be checking in with Delta at whatever terminal Delta fly from.

Keep an eye on that because there are terminal changes at Heathrow happening over the next few months it may be if you look up your flight number now it leaves from a different one in a few months time.

10. Re: Am I flying with Virgin or Delta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:16