We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
How much layover time is needed at CDG?

traveling RT Tel Aviv/Montreal.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Three hours between flights is about right. You have to go through Immigration, which can take up to an hour. If you have a choice, try to sit forward in the plane so you don't deplane last. You may have to change terminals for your onward flight.

Three hours gives you some wiggle room if your first flight is late. If you're on time, it gives you a chance to hit the restrooms and get a quick bite.

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Yikes-- why does the airline offer tickets with a one hour layover? It does look like the flights go out of the same terminal -- is it always the case that one needs to go through customs?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Jane, you're not going through Customs, you're going through Immigration, or Passport Control. It's just to verify your passport.

The airlines sell tickets based on best-case scenarios. I plan for worst-case scenarios. If your onward flight is from the same terminal as the one you arrive at, you'll be fine, assuming your first flight isn't terribly late.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Do passengers have to go through Immigration when travelling between two non-Schengen countries? I thought they could stay airside.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Nick, I'm pretty sure that travelers going to or from a non-Schengen country need to go through Immigration at CDG.

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Thanks for all of the responses-- Air France assures me that we need to go through neither customs nor immigration-- simply changing planes in the same terminal. I hope so!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
810 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

When between flights at CDG (from Israel to Canada), I remember having to go through security only. If you stay in the transit area, there is no reason to go through immigration or customs.

Norddeutschland
Level Contributor
306 posts
817 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

With just very few exceptions most countries in the world do not require you to enter the country if you just transit it. The USA is one of those countries who require you to enter even if you do not want to,

Traveling Non-Schengen to NonSchengen via one(!) Schengen airport you will stay in Transit, not clear immigration and so only have to go through security to get to your onward flight.

One thing you might want to keep in mind. If something happens (strike, delays and you are forced to stay longer in CDG, unless your passport grants you free entry into the Schengen zone you will have to stay in the transit area.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Having done non schengen ( UK) to non schengen ( TLV) at CDG I can confirm that you will only need to go through security and not immigration or customs.

If I remember correctly you will fly to TLV from 2e and as such you may have to take a short shuttle train to that terminal but I have done this in 40 mins seat to seat. If the connection is AF to AF you ought not to worry just make sure baggage is checked through to TLV and you have your onward boarding card issued at TLV/Montreal.

Chandigarh, India
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much layover time is needed at CDG?

Hi,

It will be 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Cheers!

Elina Sara