We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Check in, reassurance required.

Sutton Coldfield...
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
BA Check in, reassurance required.

Hi all, I am after some reassurance. I have never checked in other than by a checkin desk at the airport. We are booked with BA flying from Gatwick, I was planning on checking in on line 24 hours before the flight. Arriving at the airport the next day I was going to print out our boarding pass and luggage tags at the unmanned kiosk. Is this as easy as BA make it look in their demo.

Thanks, John.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,535 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

Yes - hundreds if not thousands do it every day.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

yes. and those 'unmanned kiosks' usually have a man [or woman] after all. they hover and are helpful.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

Yes.... so easy!!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

Say if you have a 20 kg luggage allowance. You put your bags on the scale and they are like 26 kg. What happens ? Plus, if you are say 20.1 kg do red lights flash the same as being 6 kg over?. Just wondering.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

You have to go and pay for excess luggage. Or you start wearing an extra 6kg of clothes,,,,

Re the 20.1, some airlines charge you, yes, others have some leeway. Plenty of whinging stories on here about folks being minutely over and being charged,,,,and swearing blind their home scales said they were under.

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

the actual bag drop desks at gatwick are manned - it's only the self service counter for printing your passes and tags that you do yourself. You still get to see somebody

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

You'll have no problem, John! Make sure you all pick your seats when you check in (24 hours in advance) if you want to sit together and haven't paid the surcharge to do so in advance!

Safe travels,

AM13

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

Say if you have a 20 kg luggage allowance. You put your bags on the scale and they are like 26 kg. What happens ?

=====

You slap yourself for being an idiot and not weighing your luggage before you left home.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

I use the airport kiosks to print boarding passes, but as far as applying bag tags it is not as easy as it looks. I let ground staff at a bag drop desk do that and am happy they are there to help.

I also weigh bags before walking out the door for the trip to the airport to put the brakes on potential aggro before it can think about becoming more than a passing (un)fancy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: BA Check in, reassurance required.

Paul,

Yes, the baggage drop is staffed. Any time I have observed this happening (the overweight thing) you have the choice to remove some things from your checked bag - you can then stuff them in your carry on or your pockets, eat them, distribute them to the poor and needy, etc. A travel companion is handy for absorbing extra possessions as well as for leaning on during naps.