We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa usa

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
942 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
visa usa

hi,i am an Irish citizen living in Ireland,traveling to states next month for vacation.do i need a visa?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa usa

you need an ESTA.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa usa

what's this? and how do i obtain such a thing? i have Googled info and its not quite clear,do i have obtain this a few weeks prior to my trip?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa usa

You can apply for ESTA on line cost $14 and is valid for up to 2 years or until expiry of passport (whichever occurs first) and allows up 90 days tourist travel anyone trip-however it is not an absolute guarantee of entry to the USA look at esta.cpb.dhs.gov

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa usa

It's the electronic replacement for the Visa Waiver programme that Irish citizens used to be eligible for.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

is where to obtain official information and apply. Be careful - there are lots of websites that come up in Google that claim to be the place to register for Esta, but all they do is charge you extra for what you can perfectly well do with the US government itself at the address I've linked to.

You must apply for ESTA online before you travel, it is valid for 2 years, or until your passport expires, whichever is the sooner. Might as well do it now, there is an outside chance you will be rejected (previous criminal convictions, on a no-fly list etc) in which case you'll need time to contact the US Embassy in Dublin and apply for an actual visa.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa usa

sorry got timed out before I could correct my post should read esta.cbp.dhs.gov

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa usa

I would suggest applying for your ESTA asap - it will probably be granted but in case it's refused for any reason you might still have time to apply at the US Embassy for the visa you'll need instead of he ESTA.

For future reference I always recommend getting all the required paperwork in place for whatever country you intend visiting before purchasing flight tickets - there have been instances of people buying tickets first to discover they have then been denied the relevant visas.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa usa

And it is one per person, linked to your individual passport so do get the application correct.

Note from a previous post you are on your honeymoon. Bazzalady will no doubt also need an ESTA.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa usa

she will! last time i travelled to usa was 2009,was ESTA in place then? can't remember.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,592 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa usa

It was introduced in 2008 and became mandatory in Jan 2009 so hopefully if you've previously travelled to the States in 2009 you had one back then!

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visa usa

Make sure you use the correct site, there are ones that will charge you loads more but the price is $14.