We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

Surrey
Level Contributor
209 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

I am flying from LGW to Orlando in May on Virgin Atlantic and am able to pre-assign my seat 60 days before departure (luckily we fly before the new changes kick in to the seat assignment policy. I am also aware that as the pre-assignment is still currently free than my request is not guaranteed).

My question is to people who have pre-assigned seats before (I have but cannot for the life of me remember timings) - do they open this service exactly 60 days beforehand i.e. to the exact hour of your actual flight?

Hope this makes sense.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

It seems to be hit and miss exactly what time the service is opened. We managed to book our seats at 60 days and 3 hours for this May.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 14:59
Surrey
Level Contributor
209 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

Thank you! I will keep checking :-)

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

I booked Manchester to Orlando on 23rd January 2014 for flight on 31st October. VA website was playing up so I phoned them on 0844 874 7747. (Eleven minutes at 16p a minute). Was informed that I should register for ESTA later in the year and seat allocation was not available until 1st June. That's five months prior to flight.

Seems they give out different information, or maybe they keep changing the rules. Every other airline (mostly budget) I've been with allow seat selection during the booking process.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

Dave

Virgins latest update on seat reservations is on their website. You should be able to select your seats from 25 June for £25 per person per flight.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

DaveK you should apply for your ESTA now in case it's not granted and you need to have a personal visit to the embassy. That's not something you can do at the last minute. The savings you make by delaying a few months are trivial and not worth risking your holiday for.

Make sure you use the right URL to apply there are lots of ripoff sites that charge way over the $14 the official one does.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

This is the latest from their website.

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/86

From £25 a seat. That's from £100 for two of us round trip, Just to select where you sit.. I'll take what they give me at check-in. Maybe they'll have deck chairs in the hold for those who decline to rent a session in their cattle class 'comfortable' recliners.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

Good point. I have expired ESTA from January 2011. Note they last only two years. An imposition on UK visitors which our leaders havn't addressed by demanding same to them.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

Why an imposition on UK visitors? It's not just applicable to the UK. We rip airlines off, and therefore their customers off with our extortionate APD rates which amount to more than an Esta costs.

9. Re: Pre-assigning seats Virgin Atlantic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 06:17