We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What annoys you the most when travelling?

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
What annoys you the most when travelling?

Here are some of the things which I find annoying and I would like to see what other travelers find annoying.

1. The PA system. The loud ding dong followed by an announcement, usually a final boarding call, then a final-final boarding call, then a more aggressive final-final boarding call.

2. Stiff officials. I mean in terms of attitude, not anything else. Impolite. Like, when you are going through the immigration process and someone wants to know what's in your hand luggage; I like to be asked politely. I don't like to be ordered to open my bag. When I am travelling through Scandinavia, there is no problem, everyone seems polite, but some officials elsewhere can ruin the first few days of a holiday.

3. Late passengers who sit next to me. If someone has been running from gate number 1 to gate 55 and arrive dripping in sweat, the attendants should show them to the bathroom and give them the courtesy freshen up kit. It's only a matter of time before they start to issue a fine to late passengers.

What things annoy you when travelling?

Lyme Regis, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

I didn't say it was rational!! I know it's irrational, but even in day to day life, lateness is the one thing I just cannot bear.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

1. Passengers who sound off at being hauled up by airline staff for not obeying the airline regs, quite frankly if every other passenger has to weigh and measure their hand luggage in accordance with the regs, or pay for allocated seating rather than settle for a randomly allocated seat, then why should some 'cannot-be-bothered-to-read-the-regs-when-booking' idiot think they should be treated differently.

2. Chatterboxes and drunks, they should be seated in a soundproof area of the plane, preferably out on the wings!!

3. Parents of small children who think it is 'cute' for their offspring to repeatedly kick the back of passengers seats, run up and down the aisle, climb over the back of the seat, shout and scream.

4. Passengers who decide to live in the toilet, causing long queues in the aisle, not sure that I want to know why this is but if you must read a book/newspaper whilst on the throne please don't do it whilst others are crossing their legs waiting for you to finish, I personally hate airline toilets so cannot understand why anyone would want to spend more than a few minutes in there, must be some very weird or very constipated passengers out there.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 12:01
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

None of those things annoy me.

Long uncertain delays, passengers i don't want to talk to who insist on having lengthy conversations with me when I am trying to do something else, and the "tut tut"" brigade, people who spend their time watching other peoples innocuous behavior and judgmentally tut tutting over little things they do. Like wanting to fine late passengers.

That annoys me.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

None in the OPs list.

Seat kickers, delays, people who can not last a flight without pouring as much alcohol down their throat as possible, people that treat flight attendants like waiters, people whose stomachs overhang onto mine, boarding passengers who take a millennium just to put a bag in the overhead locker.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

Nothing - I am travelling!!!! Even when a flight is delayed say in Paris going to Barcelona, who cares cause I am on holidays :D we even had no entertainment system at Xmas, so pulled out my own iPad listened to music and played games for 7hrs instead - lots of things that annoy some people can't be controlled so why worry. Oh and if you think London has stiff officials I don't think I have ever seen one in KL smile but has long as he or she stamps my passport to enter its all good lol

leeds yorkshire
Level Contributor
316 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

People standing in the isles hovering over your seat grrrr

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

When, after completing an 8 hour flight from the U.K., having to wait in line for 3 hours to go through U.S. customs. That's seriously put me off going to the States on holiday again!

Suzie

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

But being asked to arrive 3hrs before your flight from the UK doesn't?

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

Not at all 289jumper. Standing in a queue for 3 hours is completely different is looking around the shops, or having a nice breakfast/lunch/dinner, maybe having a drink etc

Suzie

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

Parents who don't care what their kids are doing, screaming babies (yes, I know it's not anybody's fault, but it raises the stress levels), overly fat or smelly (sweaty or farty) passengers sitting next to me, forced to sit apart from my own group if the plane has been too full in OLCI.

Sometimes airline and airport workers who treat passengers badly because the pax don't know all the details/rules/regulations they should know (baggage rules etc), the sort of descending attitude they sometimes have. I feel sorry for the elderly and first-timers.