We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What annoys you the most when travelling?

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
What annoys you the most when travelling?

Here are some of the things which I find annoying and I would like to see what other travelers find annoying.

1. The PA system. The loud ding dong followed by an announcement, usually a final boarding call, then a final-final boarding call, then a more aggressive final-final boarding call.

2. Stiff officials. I mean in terms of attitude, not anything else. Impolite. Like, when you are going through the immigration process and someone wants to know what's in your hand luggage; I like to be asked politely. I don't like to be ordered to open my bag. When I am travelling through Scandinavia, there is no problem, everyone seems polite, but some officials elsewhere can ruin the first few days of a holiday.

3. Late passengers who sit next to me. If someone has been running from gate number 1 to gate 55 and arrive dripping in sweat, the attendants should show them to the bathroom and give them the courtesy freshen up kit. It's only a matter of time before they start to issue a fine to late passengers.

What things annoy you when travelling?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

People who get up when the seat belt sign is on. AND the flight attendants who don't tell them to sit their little bottom down.

I *KNOW* it doesn't affect me in the slightest - I just find it so irritating.

Otherwise I'm pretty laid back. I just like to watch people and marvel at some of the twits I share this earth with ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

@KVE1005. No one is expecting them to "sing and dance" or even smile, but saying please and thank you is just treating another human being with some basic respect.

For the last few years, I have tried to be more polite and it works. It's not a sign of weakness, it just makes other people more at ease. There is absolutely no reason for any official to be impolite. In some airports I have seen officials using their finger to call you over in the queue, like a gesture to a child and I find this totally rude.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

People in aisle seats who figure the passenger heading to the window seat can miraculously squeeze past them. Common courtesy would suggest you stand up and let the person into the window seat instead of sitting there like the sphinx.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,382 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

I think the last time one of these threads came up I had a list of about 100 things that annoy me just about other passengers and then decided not to post it!

I'm not sure what it is about airports but for a lot of people it's as if their brains get zapped as they enter an airport terminal and they become completely moronic.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

>>>There is absolutely no reason for any official to be impolite<<<

That is again a matter of perception.

Just because they don't say thank you and smile, doesn't necessarily mean they're being rude or impolite. They're trying to get everyone through as efficiently as possible.

With so many people travelling from all around the globe, what language do you propose they use? Sure english maybe a suggestion, but not necessarily applicable world over. In an area with hundreds of people queued, you want officials calling out something in a foreign language or heavy accent that a traveller might not understand? Then what? Stall, confusion, maybe an explanation, that may eventually require use of a hand gesture to direct you through - something they could have done in the first place.

Do that several thousand times at a busy airport, and a couple minutes here and there is going to increase delays. And long queues has already been mentioned several times here.

I'd much rather be swiftly processed through the formalities.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

It irritates me when folks select the seat at check in, and they cant make up their mind for 15 mins.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

>>>>>There is absolutely no reason for any official to be impolite. This is again a matter of perception<<

I agree with that, I am sure I must have encountered them, but I struggle to remember other than one tsa agent anyone in security or immigration I would perceive as rude. I can however recall very many pleasant, humerous and polite ones. I even struggle to recall watching any one else having to endure an agent being rude to them.

So why are some pax seemingly treated with rudeness and others treated with unfailing politeness? May I suggest it's about the attitude of the pax?

Some folks really object to the measures of going through security or being asked questions, god alone knows why or why they even travel if that's the case. However the simple act of hand searching their belongings, or giving them a pat down, or asking a few extra questions is seen as a total and utter affront to them.

Doesn't the agent know just by looking that they are innocent? Why did they not say please and thank you? It's not like they are looking for terrorists or anything so sinister. They are just being nosy, annoying and inconveniencing our revered pax by not letting them pass straight through like Jesus parting the Red Sea.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

Boarding any Canadian flight in winter, I am always astonished at the passengers who board with a large carryon, a personal item, wearing their winter coat (because they have no free hand to carry it), and carrying a paper cup of Tim Hortons coffee. Then they block the aisle to remove their coat, can't stow their bags without setting their coffee on the tray table or finding some one to hold it... It always ends with a line of people waiting behind them, something gets dropped, the coffee gets spilled, and/or someone gets hit in the head with a bag. Why can't people just get on the plane and sit in their seats so we can get underway?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,718 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

As a category, the things which most annoy me really center around "basic respect". Whether that's an agent, a fellow passenger, and yes, even myself (I can be annoying, too). Sometimes we forget the golden rule and when things get stressful, basic respect goes out the door first.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: What annoys you the most when travelling?

Gate rats. People who crowd the gates before boarding and then don't board in the order asked, I've sat and waited and found my area to be full and no place to store my luggage. The gate attendants should either say " free for all boarding" or actually enforce what they ask for