We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with the UK passport office

The Hague, The...
3 posts
Save Topic
Problems with the UK passport office

I sent my passport to be renewed in the beginning of February in that time frame I was told that they were processing it, it was lost and now the it is still in the queue and has not even gone to the examiner yet!! It has been over 7 weeks!

Is this normal? Has anyone had the same problems that I had?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

No that's not normal. Normal is about three weeks from sending to receiving back, with differences in peak periods, where yes it can be lengthy.

When do you need it by? If you are not travelling soon, just let it progress, if you are, you need to speak to them and explain the urgency.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

Could you not have renewed it at the British Embassy (locally)?

The Hague, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

I didn't buy my ticket yet, I decided to wait until I have the passport. I have contacted them on a number of occasions and they have been giving me the run around. On three occasions I was promised a call back within 72 hours. I got the call on the third try and they told me that they have not done anything with my application and I should try calling back within a week (which was today). I called and was told again that they could not inform me about the status of the application and I should try call later.

I am very upset about this and honestly I don't know what to do. I'm afraid that by time I get the passport back the tickets will be too expensive for me.

I live in the Netherlands therefore locally was not an option.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 14:22
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

This link may help

britsoc.nl/applying-for-a-british-passport

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

Sorry, I just noticed you are in The Hague. I just renewed mine from Brussels.

I couriered it in, with track able delivery...did you do the same?. When exactly was delivery to them made?

For mine, It was about three or four days after delivery before it showed in their system, I could phone and they confirmed they had it, they then sent an email to me saying my credit card had not went through, so I had to phone and reconfirm the number, which I did immediately and payment went through.

It then went to the examiner, stayed there for a couple of weeks, then went to print,,I got it couriered back about two days after it went to print, got a text from dhl saying when it was being delivered, All in it took just over three weeks.

So no this is not normal, I found it very efficient. What do you mean it was processed and then lost?

The Hague, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

They confirmed that they received the payment and the documents a day after I shipped it to them. when I called to check on the passport the first person told me that the application was in with the examiner and was being processed and I should have it soon. After a week I called again then someone told me that she could not find the passport and would have to forward my case to some else. I called again after no one contacted me and was told that they would send my request again to the examiner and they would contact me, so that I could know the status of the application. When I finally got a call back they told me that nothing have been done to the application and I should call back after a week.

Burnley, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

Be VERY careful if you use the 'new' online application process. I have been told by various staff -

1) I'd have left it a month or two because the problems might have been sorted out then and it probably will be quicker.

2) There's all sorts of problems I wouldn't use it.

3) In response to why they have introduced it if they haven't ironed out problems or warn applicants - If we do that no one would use it and we wouldn't sort the problems !

If you make an error on the application you can't correct it once you have printed the application. You then spend a week and ages on the phone trying to get various staff to help you, and believing that they are sending the correct form out only for it to arrive and be identical to the incorrect one that you printed out! Apparently they can't access the online application so then someone else tells you to send the incorrect application in with a covering letter. They have now changed the wording on the online process to warn you that you can't amend it. Finally if you use the wrong password to get back on to the online process and lock yourself out no one can unlock it and because it was an online application no one can help you either, and to quote 'you can't track it until it is sent back' ! Nearly 3 weeks now and haven't had any of the supporting documents back getting very concerned.

8. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 14:05
laplandsnow
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

I posted yesterday but it seems my comment has been deleted. Not sure what rule I broke?

Passports if applying from abroad have got huge waiting times.. they are so back logged that it is a min of 7 weeks for them to even look at the application to put forward for printing.. I am too having problems and phoning them is hopeless.

On my last call I was warned to look out for emails - I asked if they knew something I didnt and could I expect an email asking for more documents, i was informed no, but lets see, why warn to look out for emails?

Hope you get your passport soon, I think I am looking at another month!

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems with the UK passport office

Thank God I have dual citizenship. I will book an "on the spot" appointment when i am in the UK next and just use my Kiwi passport to get there. I was going to send it for renewal, but not now, I will wait:)

Edited: 02 May 2014, 01:36