We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport control at Gatwick in July?

London, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Passport control at Gatwick in July?

I'm travelling with friends in July from Spain to gatwick and going through passport control at about 11.30am so we think it's going to be quite busy. We were wondering whether we could split up as two have electronic passports and are 18 but the other two have normal passports. Basically I'm wondering where it's sort of frowned on to split up or is it okay? We wanted to go get our luggauge if the queue were very long

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

Have you considered flying with carry on bags only.

If, as seems to be the consensus, the baggage takes longer than the passport queues and you all have a train to catch it might be worth considering if you really need all the stuff you are planning to bring.

London, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

We have paid for cabin luggauge all 15kg so we would like to use it. It seems that cabin bags take longer so maybe we just all go through together. Thank you

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

It's an extremely small sample, but in my last four flights back to Gatwick, over the last 18 months, the queues for passport control have been shorter each time. Last month, there weren't queues at any of the desks, just one traveller at each desk.

I did have the impression that there was something different about the streaming as you entered the passport hall , so this may have made a difference (Gatwick North).

Portsmouth, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

North terminal passport control on Saturday 14March extremely poor. Took longer than flight from Geneva. Disorganised queuing system with lots of queue jumping. Too few terminals operating but lots of managers looking on.

15. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 09:35
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

I have to agree with the above

we arrived at Gatwick North-from Malta on 10th March-massive lines for immigration mid afternoon

it took 3/4 hour to get my passport checked

too few staff on duty

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

The immigration queues at Gatwick are more often than not absolutely horrendous. Allow the best part of an hour sometimes.

What annoys me is the number of people with their passports in holders, when the signs say they have to be removed from them. It always seems to come as a surprise to these idiots when they are asked to remove them adding a couple of extra minutes to what should be a ten second transaction.

Jackie

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

This thread was awoken by a necroposter at post 14, the OP posted a year ago.

19. Re: Passport control at Gatwick in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2016, 04:17