We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

Hi all,

Really hoping you can advise!

I've booked a KLM flight departing London City Airport at 9.30 on a Saturday morning, arriving Amsterdam 11.35. My connecting flight to Lima leaves Amsterdam at 12.30. I'm beginning to panic that I won't make it!

Does anyone know about the gates these flights arrive/leave from or has anyone made this connection before?

Thanks so much!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

That's a tight connection as the MCT for an international connection is 50 minutes - check out this KLM link for a video explaining the connections process - make sure you get your boarding pass for the Lima flight at CTY.

They do offer priority lanes for those with short connection times which might apply to your flights.

klm.com/travel/…index.htm

I have not done this connection but whenever I've connected through AMS I've always found it well organised unlike some airports.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

You should be able to make it, as it's more than the KLM minimum connection. Let the crew onboard your first flight know about your tight connection and they may just be able to do something for you.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 23:13
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,623 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

>>They do offer priority lanes for those with short connection times which might apply to your flights.<<

That does not apply as the flight is non Schengen to non Schengen and security screening is done at the gate. The flight is operated by CityJet on an RJ85 which I think means you need to be bused to the terminal. That actually works a little bit to your advantage as it is less of a walk. No time to hang around but you should make it if your flight is on time. If it is any more than 20 minutes late you can probably kiss you connection to Lima goodbye.

UK
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

The code for London City is LCY - nearly didn't read your post as I'd never come across airport code CTY so thought I wouldn't be able to help.

It's a non-Schengen to non-Schengen connection. There will be no passport queues to worry about (so the bit about priority lanes doesn't apply) , and Security will be at the gate - so all you do is get off your flight, walk to the departure gate and join the queue of Lima-bound passengers waiting to go through Security. As long as your flight isn't more than a few minutes late there should be no problem whatsoever. Try to get an aisle seat near the front - disembarkation is at the front only at AMS (at LCY it's front and rear, but they don't open the rear door at AMS).

You will arrive at one of the D gates. Your departure will probably be from E or F (but you will know once you have your boarding pass). Turn right out of D. E is just a hundred yards or so from D, F is a 5-10 minute walk.

Gates close 15 minutes before departure.

UK
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

RonaldoC, you beat me to it (your post wasn't there when I started typing).

LCY flights park at the gate, not on the remote stand - so there will be no bus ride to the terminal. (Unless this has changed under the new regime - Cityjet has just been sold).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,623 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

Ah you are correct Aviatrix about the gate thing. I was thinking that the RJ-85 was too low to get an air bridge connection but i see that the first two flights tomorrow at least, depart from D14 / D18

UK
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

"I was thinking that the RJ-85 was too low to get an air bridge connection"

You know... although I've done this dozens of times I can't remember if the aircraft connects to the gate or if we have to walk across the tarmac and climb some stairs... but the aircraft definitely park at a gate, as you have since discovered.

I've been on flights at Schiphol where I had to walk across the tarmac and up and down some stairs, but these may have been F70s or Embraers.

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

This is amazing, thank you all so much! I was quite worried about being bussed taking time- I think I can remember this happening before, but obviously not!

So, if I've understood correctly, I'm subject to a passport check on arrival at Amsterdam and then again on departure at the gate?

Thanks again all, this is invaluable!

And apologies for the typo in the title!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

I'm flying to Peru on this flight in the summer and specifically rejected this connection as it just takes a small problem and you have zero chance of making the onward flight

UK
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CTY-LIM 55 minute connection at AMS

"So, if I've understood correctly, I'm subject to a passport check on arrival at Amsterdam and then again on departure at the gate?"

No passport checks (as you're not entering the Netherlands). On arrival you just walk to your next gate. When you get to the gate you will go through security before you board the aircraft. Airline staff will want to see your passport when they check your boarding pass, but that's the only passport checking there will be.

Personally I would probably choose to allow more time when connecting to a once-a-day long-haul flight, but non-Schengen to non-Schengen a 55 minute connection is normally fine. The main bottleneck at Schiphol is the Schengen/non-Schengen transit point, but you won't be going anywhere near that.