We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food on International Flights

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Food on International Flights

I am flying Virgin Australia to Los Angeles and absolutely hate plane food (always have horrible stomach pains after eating it)

Wanting to bring my own food on the plane but concerned with customs etc with what I can bring instead of paying large amounts of money for food beyond customs which is equally horrible.

Is only snack food ok or can I bring like peanut butter sandwiches as well? Someone please let me know what they have done before and if they have had things thrown out on them.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food on International Flights

Your question isn't clear. You are going to bring food ON the plane when you leave AU to eat, yes? Then it will be eaten, gone, by the time you land at LAX, yes? So what does U.S. customs have to do with what you have already eaten and disposed of? Chuck.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food on International Flights

Peanut butter sandwiches are fine. In fact I think that all sandwiches I can think of are fine. The only real restrictions are on liquids, so don't bring any of those. So you can bring fruit, cheese, etc without a problem.

You will need to eat all of this or throw it out before you land in the USA, though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,950 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food on International Flights

There are no Customs checks as you leave Australia, so you can take what you like onto the plane (subject to security requirements on liquids).

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food on International Flights

Hi,

As noted in #1, in your case, "Customs" will come into play when you arrive at LAX. As such, you can take neatly anything you like -- so long as you can get it past AU airport security (think liquids, gels, etc) -- BUT you really should eat or discard anything left over **before** you deplane in LA.

While the US does permit the importation of some foods from foreign countries, doing so will probably flag you for a secondary inspection as the rules can be complex.

I'd give some thought to foods that not only will meet airport screening restrictions, but also "carry" or "hold" well, without the need for refrigeration, unless you plan to eat it/them shortly after boarding.

Travel Safe,

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food on International Flights

Virgin offer an extensive range of alternate meals for passengers ... if you can eat a peanut butter sandwich surely they have at least one thing that would be acceptable. They even have what they call a "Bland Meal" ... mmmm, sounds delicious. There are many choices, have a look at the link.

virginaustralia.com/au/…

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,504 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food on International Flights

If you're not a big fan of airline food, think about putting in a special dietary request. May or may not be any better, but it is oftentimes an option. If not, just bring food with you - that's not an issue, as noted earlier.

Can't vouch for Australia, but have to say, in last few years the quality and diversity of food in major American airports is dramatically higher than in the past which may help you on your return trip.

Good luck.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,531 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food on International Flights

I'm curious as to whether there's anything specific that your stomach is sensitive to, as it's not like they have a common ingredient exclusive to 'plane food'. Perhaps over seasoned foods or just wet dishes?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food on International Flights

Would those peanut butter sandwiches affect people with peanut allergies?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,418 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food on International Flights

You can bring whatever food you want (as long as it's not durian or something with a strong smell) onto the plane as long as it does not violate the liquids rule. You cannot import food into the US though so whatever you don't consume prior to landing, you will have to throw away.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,529 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food on International Flights

There is no problem bringing food with you. As mentioned above there can be problems with customs at your destination. So just do not bring food into the USA.

As a tip, drink plenty of water during the flight, that will help your stomach. You might experience still stomach issues with your own food as some people have digestion problems when sitting for extended period of times, hence no link to the airline but to traveling in an a/c/ as such.