We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

norway
Level Contributor
550 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

Hi all

I have a flight booked with UA from Dulles arriving LHR 06:20 on a July Sunday morning to terminal 2. I then have an onward flight with BA from Terminal 5 to Bergen. I will be travelling with bags. The flights are two seperate tickets- no code sharing. I assume that I will have to go through passport control, collect my bags, go through customs, transfer, check in, go through security and get to the gate. (or am I mistaken). Is there any posibilty that this would work or is it a no hoper.

vinndy

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

In my view you've no chance - 90 minutes is the MCT for an international arrival to internal departure involving a terminal change on a single ticket.

In reality you have less than 90 minutes as the conformance process at LHR requires you to be through security at least 35 minutes before departure - miss that deadline and you are denied access to the departure area.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,604 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

No Chance. Full Stop.

norway
Level Contributor
550 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

thanks

thats what I thought. I can allways hope that the inbound from dulles is early.

My BA tickets are semi flexible so for a price I can change them and will just have to take the long wait until the next flight.

Vinndy

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

"My BA tickets are semi flexible so for a price I can change them and will just have to take the long wait until the next flight."

I'd check the ticket rules - it might be that you have to change in advance and simply being a no show could lead to the ticket being cancelled.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

Sounds like somebody booked separate tickets or booked through a dumb third party. Even if your flight gets in early... no chance... well, maybe a 5% chance. Deboard plane, get through immigration, pick up bags, go to new terminal, check in bags <buzzz> "sorry, you have missed the bag checkin deadline.

Change the flight now while it might be possible. At least read up on the rules for changes. Allow 4-6 hours between separate tickets. Even better... arrive a day early if the second ticket is expensive to replace.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 16:25
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

Seeing as we get a lot of separate ticket inquiries on here, I wrote a traveler article about it.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g41707-c207311/Newt…

(Sorry it's in the Newton MA section, but non destination forums don't (yet) have a place of their own for these, and so TA let be put it in their home town section.)

Vinndy, 90 minutes gives you no chance. The check in **and bag drop** deadline for BA is 45 before departure. Immigration/customs takes up to an hour, and it can take up to half an hour to get from arrivals to the check in hall at T5 (5 min walk to HEX, up to 15 wait for HEX, 5 min journey to T5, 5 min walk to check in). Even if you cleared Imm&Cust and the transfer to T5 in half the time you'd still likely miss the bag drop deadline.

norway
Level Contributor
550 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

already making the changes. next day departure and overnight at heathrow.

thanks all

vinndy

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

No need for a next day departure.

BA have an afternoon flight to Bergen, which you can change to free of charge. Should give you more than enough time.

Note that the semi flex ticket only lets you change to same day flight free of charge, not next day.

norway
Level Contributor
550 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

hi intrepid

no problem to change to next day or any day. Its actually a lot cheaper on the following day than the evening flight. We are 4 so better off just staying at the airport and getting some sleep- we are going to be pretty tired by then.

vinndy

England
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LHR terminal 2 to terminal 5 in 90mins?

Hi Vinndy, just saw your Heathrow forum post, if you have not booked a hotel at Heathrow yet have a look at Premier Inn Hotel at Terminal 5 , they are excellent value and get great reviews

premierinn.com/en/hotel/HEAFIV/london-heathr…

You could manage an afternoon trip into London if you are not leaving until the next day.