We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

Is 1h10 enough to transit from a flight from Phili to Europe for passenger and baggage? Is the baggage security issue at JFK better than what I read about in 2012?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

"Is 1h10 enough to transit from a flight from Phili to Europe for passenger and baggage?" - Yes as long as the first flight is on time

"Is the baggage security issue at JFK better than what I read about in 2012?" - Baggage issues can happen at any airport, whether it be loss or theft, and the best advice is to do carry on only where possible and/or do not pack any items of value in checked bags.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

THat is cutting it very very tight. Is it one ticket or two independent tickets. Are you going to have to claim your luggage at JFK and transport it to the second check in or will it be checked in Phili to Europe. Finally, are you flying in and out of the same terminal. IF you are changing terminals and/or need to claim and recheck luggage I doubt you will make it.

Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

Thank you so much for this entry. This site is excellent and timely. Bought the ticket at the AF desk at our airport and they were able to lengthen the time at JFK by several hours. Won't put anything but used clothes in the suitcase!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,878 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

I've routinely had domestic to international transfers in JFK of that length and never had an issue. Don't know of any reason to question baggage there than anywhere else. Do check your carrier and the terminal map for JFK so that you're aware of anything unusual. But if you're on a single carrier or partner in the same terminal I can't see why you would have any issue if the plane is on time.

Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

OK will check the terminal change but am now booked with 2-3 hours time at JFK so plenty of time to get from one to the other even if there is a delay from Phili. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

I am more comfortable with the 2-3 hours. AND in terms of baggage security. I fly in and out twice a year. Most of my friends do a minimum of 2-3 trips a year, My brother probably does 3-4 trips a year and my nephew, wife and daughter also do 2 trips a year. IN all, I have NEVER heard of anyone having anything stolen from luggage. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but you are harboring a fear that seems very unrealistic. People also have their homes broken into but I am sure you leave your house.

7. Re: Transit thru JFK - time allotted and baggage security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:17