We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DFW Connecting Question

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Topic
DFW Connecting Question

Hello there. I need some advice from persons who are familiar with DFW. I'll be flying American from Puerto Vallarta to Barbados via DFW and Miami in August. My flight from PVR arrives at DFW at 10:45am and my MIA flight is 12:15pm. Can I make this int'l to domestic connection? It's the only feasible connection to get back the same day...

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DFW Connecting Question

Two hours is the usual recommended connection time on incoming international flights. Have you checked connecting in Miami?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DFW Connecting Question

There is no flight from PVR to Miami. Otherwise I have two hours to spare there. Why would American give the option of a 1.5 hr DFW connection if they knew it wasn't possible?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,392 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DFW Connecting Question

The minimum connection time set by AA going from international to domestic at DFW is 1:20. If you don't make the connecting flight, they should put you on the next available flight for free.

If you have concerns, call AA and ask.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,866 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DFW Connecting Question

"Why would American give the option of a 1.5 hr DFW connection if they knew it wasn't possible?"

It is possible, for (say) US Citizens with Global Entry, no checked bags and expedited security (TSA Pre). I even made a 1hr10 connection at LAX back in December (no GE), though I'd never recommend that short a connection to others.

But, if you need to use the foreign citizen line, wait for your luggage to arrive on the carousel, and then wait in the security line for pax to faff around taking off their shoes and pulling their liquids bag out, etc, etc, (and then have to do that yourself) you may decide that for you, more time is needed.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 06:25
Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DFW Connecting Question

And remember that it is 'the next available flight', not 'the next flight' that they will put you on.

That can mean mny hours or overnight waiting.

We travel through DFW as non citizens regularly and from touchdown to the next gate has taken anywhere from 1hr45mins to 2hrs 30mins.

I would never risk anything less than 3hrs connection to allow for most minor delays/crowds.

When we missed an AA connection, we were put on standby and it took 3 flights (or 8hrs) before were accommodated.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DFW Connecting Question

Thanks. I will have to figure something else out.

7. Re: DFW Connecting Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:16