We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thomas Cook

I booked a holiday to Turkey about 3 months ago now. A few days ago i got an email through containing a letter notifying me of a change to my holiday.

The change is not acceptable for me and my partner and now want to change are hotel? Has anyone experienced this before and are we able to get a refund on our holiday? In my eyes they've missold the holiday.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

'All of the descriptions contained in our brochures and on our website are carefully researched and the most stringent measures are adopted to ensure their accuracy. Unfortunately, however, the information is made available to our customers up to 18 months in advance of the holidays taking place, it is inevitable that circumstances may change as we explain in our booking conditions. It is for this reason that we are now writing to you.

We have been asked to contact customers who have booked to stay at the Turunç Hotel, to advise that the all-inclusive drinks package has changed. Hot and soft drinks will be available 24 hours as advertised in the brochure, however local alcoholic drinks will be available from 10.00 till 02.00.

We would like to apologise for the necessity of this advice but we believe that it is important for our customers to have the most up-to-date and accurate information possible.

If the new arrangements are not suitable to your requirements, subject to availability and payment of any difference/reduction in cost, we will be able to search for further alternatives and amend the details of your holiday within 21 days of the date on this letter.

Once again we would like to take the opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience this change may have caused you.

Yours sincerely,"

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook

Contact Thomas Cook.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,817 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook

It's not been missold as the hotel has changed what they offer since you booked. They are allowing you to change your holiday if you're not happy with having 8 hours in the middle of the night and breakfast time, without having free alcohol. If this isn't acceptable I suggest you contact whoever you booked through.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook

So in effect the change is that you cannot now obtain free alcohol after 2 am and not before 10am in the morning? I'm really no expert on this subject but really don't think this would qualify as mis representation or misselling and they have offered you other options which may or may not cost any more money however please let us know where you end up being accommodated so I can avoid staying with a load of booze hounds!!!

Edited: 09 April 2014, 15:30
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook

They haven't missold the holiday. They sold it exactly as the hotel policy was at the time. The hotel policy has changed.

TC have invited you to contact them if you are unhappy so the change so this is what you should do. Not sure how you are going to cope with no booze from 2am - 10am so definitely get in touch.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,451 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook

just so we get where you are coming from ,what part of the changes are not suitable for you?

I recently did an AI holiday in Larnzarote where drinks were available from 11 am - 12 midnight,that was plenty for me but you may be of a different ken.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook

We're not raging alcoholics by any means but the option for one night if we did get drunk we'd like to be able to drink until when we wanted. With lack of locals bars and not going for a party holiday we opted to go for a 24 hour bar for that one night.

As well as this we have also found that since booking our holiday many other options that we chose have came down a lot in price and now we're not happy that we've been penalised for booking early and not getting all we asked for.

Its also not the fact the free alcohol part stops at 2am. The hotel will stop serving alcohol full stop meaning we can't even buy any which we would have been happy to do.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook

And now Thomas cook have no other hotels in the area we bought into that are of decent quality whereas Thomson have

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,817 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook

So the prices have done what they always do - they've changed. Right now they're lower than when you booked, but they've probably been a lot higher as well. You must have been happy with the price you paid at the time. Basically, you've found cheaper holidays and want your money back to book one of those.

If you must have a drink after 2am why not buy a bottle from a shop and keep it in your room? I've always got a bottle of brandy in mine when we go away, just in case :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook

"As well as this we have also found that since booking our holiday many other options that we chose have came down a lot in price and now we're not happy that we've been penalised for booking early and not getting all we asked for."

And now we have the real reason for wanting to change using the minor change in overnight bar hours as a feeble excuse.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook

Just ask the bar staff for for a drink or two to take back to your room, failing that buy a bottle of your favourite poison from duty free