We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

Hi!

We are booking flights and have a dilemma.

We arrive into LGW from BGI on VA at 06:30 - the flight to our local airport is with easy jet at 08:30.

We will need to clear customs, collect luggage, check in etc. is this doable?

The next flight is 12 hours later and we really don't know what to do as after such a long flight with jet lag we would prefer to get home ASAP but don't want to be stressed out by the slightest delay.

Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

It's very risky. Relies on on time everything. Also relies on nothing being rescheduled, if you arrival was rescheduled 30 minutes later and departure 30 min earlier, it would be literally impossible,

Can you geta train instead ? Can you book a ticket at a cheap enough price it's throw away if you miss? Or just give up on the whole idea, book a day room ina hotel, and the later flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

It's doable , but only if everything goes as smooth as silk,

Coming in from Barbados, I'd say on an average day, a good day, to get off the plane, through immigration, collect bags and get airside, you are talking about an hour.

This gives you one hour. Check in desks close 40 mins before departure. You then have twenty mins to get to the front of the queue and do your bag drop.

This means the max you can have is a twenty minute delay coming in from Barbados. If you miss it, you have to buy new tickets at a walk up fare. If there is any availability and the next flight is not full.

It's risky, doable, but risky. Why fly? Why not just get the train?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

A lot of flights come in that time of the morning so it could take quite a while to clear immigration and collect your luggage. IMHO you are cutting it very fine indeed. Can you get a day room in a nearby hotel, sleep for a few hours and get the later flight home?

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

Depends wherein northumberland u stay but id think about booking a cheap advance train ticket give yourself plenty of time and head into st pancras then walk over to kings x even if you book a midday train you will still be home before the 2nd flight also if you are late and it is an airport advance they mostly give lee way regarding travelling on a later service. We have done the journey but back to edinburgh many times

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

It's going to be very very tight and relies IMHO too heavily on everyone and everything performing on time, other alternative to twiddling your thumbs for 12 hrs is to get a room to relax at/near LGW that can be paid for by the hour

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

Even if your incoming flight is on time there's a big risk of missing that connection. Earlier today I had a 2 hour connection at LHR and even though my incoming flight was 5 minutes early and I was among the first of the plane I would have only just made a T-40 minute check-in deadline. This was with Fast-track through immigration/security and without having to pick up luggage.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

You can use the Gatwick Connect service. Essentially, you collect your bags from the carousel and drop them off at a desk in the same room.

The baggage delivery service at LGW is poor, and getting worse.

It's doable - probably a 50/50 shot though.

gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/…

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

We don't travel until December so we can pick up flights etc cheaply now - so we are thinking of booking that early flight but also booking a train for later in.

If we book early enough we will get both at a decent rate - which won't feel so bad when we have to let one 'go' but will take the stress away worrying in case we miss the flight connection.

Really appreciate all the great advice thanks!

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

Hi!

To all the helpful people on here, and those searching, I just thought I would post an update.

First of all the Easy Jet flight to NCL has been changed to 08:55 - thus giving a few vital extra minutes.

But I discovered 'Gatwick Connect' a free service which is available to me as I'm flying in on Virgin Atlantic and out on Easy Jet. I asked them about my connection and this was their reply:-

Thank you for your enquiry. Gatwick Connect can certainly help you with connection once you have collected your bags from your Virgin Atlantic flight please visit the Gatwick Connect desk in the baggage reclaim hall. The staff can check your bags in for your EasyJet flight and issue boarding cards all you have to do then is catch the inter terminal shuttle train to the North terminal the journey time takes approx 3 mins and proceed through security to catch your next flight.

There is rarely if ever queues at the Connect desks and your check-in time should take no more than 5mins.

I thought there may be others who would find this interesting.

Finally, when I booked the Easy Jet flights I also took out an additional insurance which covers me in case our flight from BMI is delayed, thus causing us to miss the flight.

So I've gone ahead and booked the flights as it seems to me to be a win- win situation! Will update as to what actually happens though.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin atlantic to easy jet in 2 hours LGW - is it doable?

Note also that easyJet offers what they call a "rescue fare". Basically, if you are late but show up within 2 hours of your flight's departure they will rebook you on the next available flight for £65.