We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best days to buy airline tickets?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best days to buy airline tickets?

Felt like Goldilocks looking for airline tickets from PHX to CPH. Found one that fit just right,but wasn't very happy with the price. Checked comparison sites. I could save 5% if I used Aeroflot which has a layover in MOSCOW, or took a flight that layovers 17 hours in Newark ( only saves if you sit in the bloody airport). So I watched my preferred flight for about a month. Here come the bears: Went to site Monday, and the price was 20% more. We'd seen a piece on TV that said Thursday was the best day to buy tickets. So we decided it couldn't hurt to wait a few more days. Price same on Tuesday. Wednesday, the price increase was GONE. Just weird, glad I waited. Are prices usually higher on Mondays due to business travelers buying on Mondays?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

We'd seen a piece on TV that said Thursday was the best day to buy tickets.

That piece is rubbish. There is on better day or better time to buy tickets, people try to draw nonsense conclusions from a handful of datapoints.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,792 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

The best day to buy is when the price is right. Then buy it and never look back.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

I have always been happy with the price I have paid whenever I have bought on a day ending in a 'y'.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

I always thought business travelers bought on the first Tuesday of every month...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

Don't be silly, airline prices go up and down based on demand and tickets on hold and released. It's nothing to do with the days of the week.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,782 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

That would make it Wednesday here, and all along I was thinking it was Sundays. I'm pretty sure in PHX, it's cheaper buying cars on a Friday, and houses are most expensive on a Monday.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,020 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

If it was true that airfares are cheaper on Thursdays no one would buy any other day of the week. Airline would quickly cotton on and put fares up!

Don't believe everything that's in the media. Buy when you like the price and don't look back.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,523 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

I purchase tickets on days which have the suffix "day" and they have mostly worked out fine for me.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,856 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

Yesterday!

CaseyCane, there is no "best day" to buy tickets. Tickets are sold in different fare categories (often known as "fare buckets") that range from heavily discounted and highly restricted (and with an advance purchase deadline), to very expensive full fare but fully flexible. Once the most heavily discounted bucket is sold out or its deadline expires, the cheapest fares available are in a more expensive bucket, and so on. So you see the fares increase.

Every now and again, if the cheapest bucket is emptied by a reservation, and that reservation then isn't ticketed, then one or two tickets may reappear. You would see the fare go down. You could also see the fare go down if the airline decides to put more tickets into a sold out bucket, or reduces the fares. They also sometimes don't release the cheapest fares immediately (so don't book a flight 330 days in advance).

Any of the above can occur on any day of the week. And of course as I write this it's 3.30pm on a Thursday, which is Friday in Asia and central Europe.

More details can be found in the top question on the right hand side "Buy now or later? What's with these screwy ticket prices?"

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best days to buy airline tickets?

I always buy my long haul holiday flights on 'beer' days. Having an approximate idea of prices, I enjoy refreshment with friends, come home, think life's too short, and book on the airlines website. Never gone wrong yet!