We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flights between Canada and USA

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting Flights between Canada and USA

Hi

I am a UK citizen looking to book return flights from London Heathrow to Denver, CO in July. At the moment the best option appears to be to fly with Air Canada with a stop off in Toronto.

The flight schedule looks like this

leave LHR @ 8:30am

arrive YYZ @ 11:10am

depart YYZ @ 14:20

arrive DEN @ 15:56

that's 3hrs 10 mins between the connection flight. Will this be enough time to get off the plane, allow for luggage to make the next plane and most importantly, time for us to get through immigration/customs?

On the way back there is 1hr 26mins between the two flights. Again, will this be enough time to allow for immigration etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. One flight option I looked at had 30mins between the connection flights, which I find hard to believe would be enough time. I have never travelled with connection flights, especially in the US and Canada, and know how immigration and customs can be.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,636 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting Flights between Canada and USA

As far as I'm aware there is no immigration/customs in Canada for connecting passengers but you'll pre clear US Immigration & Customs at YYZ before the departure to Denver.

You can get a step by step guide here - simply enter your airline details.

www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting Flights between Canada and USA

Three hours is fine. You will divert to US Immigration and Customs pre-clearance before you get to the Canadian Immigration hall. Watch for the signs. I would not take the 30 minute connection. You must be looking at a third party website for that silliness. Book with the airlines directly.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting Flights between Canada and USA

1 hour and 26 minutes should be fine on your return trip. You won't have to leave the secure area. There will be a quick check of your passport and travel documents by the CBSA as you go to your next departure gate. It's not the same customs and immigration process you would go through had you been staying in Canada, but rather a check to make sure you meet the immigration requirements to transit through Canada. It's a bit of a hike from the US area to the International departures, but it's all in the same terminal. Baggage will be checked all the way through.

On the way to the US, it's a bit more involved, as you will have to go through US preclearance and clear airport security again to get to your next gate. However, you won't need to pick up your checked baggage. 3 hours 10 minutes is more than enough time.

4. Re: Connecting Flights between Canada and USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:17