We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
7 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

We flew EasyJet from England to Scotland in 2004 and then flew Venice to London in 2009 and had a great experience. In both instances we did not check any bags and were allowed to carry on one bag that would fit in the overhead and a second small item like a purse or backpack that would go under the seat. This year we booked tickets for 5 adults from Rome to Amsterdam and then called and spoke to a customer service agent to be sure that this was still the policy. We received a confirmation email that appeared to support this policy. When we got to the gate in Rome, the extremely rude gate agent declared that we could only have one bag period! She told us to combine our bags but given that we had computers & cameras in our smaller bag it did not seem possible. We had to pay $300 in extra baggage fees. As we were in line to board we saw a man that tucked his 2nd bag in his first but could not zip it & had a 12" gap. Another woman had a full length coat on and clearly was hiding a second bag under her coat on her back. As we sat on the plane we counted at least 8 other people blatantly carrying 2 bags. We called EasyJet when we got to Amsterdam and I completed their email survey form but we have heard nothing! We did consolidate bags and still had to pay an extra $100 on the trip back to Rome. With all these additional fees and complete lack of customer service they are no longer a good deal and we will likely make another choice on our next trip!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,894 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

When you state the gate agent was rude had there been a "discussion" which included you stating that you had phoned and checked and that you have never been checked before? And then did the agent tell you basically "rules are rules" ... and then did you get more insistent? Is this the bit where the agent became rude?

As noted before, the luggage restrictions are clearly written on your Eticket ... I presume you read that and called because of your past experience and wanted more than your allowance.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

The replies were not harsh. They were factually correct and simply advising you that this bad experience was all of your own making.

I'm an experienced traveller, I make mistakes sometimes and I'm the first to admit it (last minute booking where I didn't check luggage allowances properly and had to pay at the airport). It was a 'doh' moment but we all have them.

Why exactly do you feel the need to blame everyone but yourself?

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

Hi

I think this problem actually happened because Easyjet do talk of two different bags and I know when I am reading basic rules and regulations on American websites I find them confusing. This lady is from Atlanta and not England so all this talk of two different sized bags made her believe that was what she was allowed.

Now the rude bit is almost invariably because the OP didn't get her own way, quickly followed by trying to involve other folk going about their rightful business and accusing them of wearing a big coat to hide a small bag etc etc.

The one bag rule with Easyjet is enforced, you had to many bags and had to pay the consequences.

Jackie

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

I'm not sure how the misunderstanding arose, it appears pretty clear to me. I also can't understand why an easyjet employee would say one bag and a personal item allowed,,or why the op did not just check on the website.

Ps, jackie don't think that being from Atlanta is anything to do with it...:-))

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

"I'm not sure how the misunderstanding arose,"

Possibly (and just possibly) from the email referenced by Nozzie in #10.

Possibly, and just possibly, they may have thought that the "ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels", and the "you can continue to bring ONE slightly bigger cabin bag, free of charge, " blah blah blah ... may have been misunderstood as being two bags.

It's splitting hairs, and I'm not buying it.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,498 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

easyJet allows ONE item of cabin baggage per passenger. Overhead locker space on board our aircraft is limited, which means on busy flights we’re not always able to fit everyone’s cabin bag on board. So to make things fair, we’re introducing a cabin bag guarantee.

If you bring ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels, we guarantee it will always travel with you either in the overhead locker or, if necessary, under the seat in front of you.

If you choose to bring ONE bag that is slightly bigger than our guaranteed size but to our maximum allowed size limitations, 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels, on some busy flights your bag may have to go into the hold.

http://support.easyjet.com/case-5832

The ONE is as it appears on easyjet's website

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,839 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

<<were allowed to carry on one bag that would fit in the overhead and a second small item like a purse or backpack that would go under the seat. >>

Was this really Easyjet's policy in 2004?

Have they ever allowed you to take 2 cabin bags?

<<This year we booked tickets for 5 adults from Rome to Amsterdam and then called and spoke to a customer service agent to be sure that this was still the policy.>>

Really surprised that the OP went to the trouble of ringing Easyjet instead of checking out the website.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,086 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

I've been flying with Easyjet on and off since 2004, and as far as I can remember the rules have always been one piece of carry on luggage only.

I wish it was enforced more strictyl in the early days, as several flight sI have taken have been so full off carry on bags that I have been unable to store anything in the overhead lockers.

19. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 12:20
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Has anyone else had an issue with EasyJet's baggage policy?

I believe that prior to July 2004, EasyJet did allow more than one item of hand baggage, providing the dimensions were no more than 45X35X20 cm. and they had a total weight limit of only 5 kg.

In July 2004 the regulations were changed to one item at 55X40X20, and unlimited weight as long as you could lift it into the overhead lockers unaided - for most people a more generous allowance and certainly more simple to enforce.

However anyone relying on ten-year old memories of baggage allowances is going to have a rude shock on a great many airlines, including many full-service carriers within Europe.