We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Hello,

I am looking at booking flights for December 2014 - January 2015 from Sydney (SYD) to Frankfurt (FRA). I have never booked international flights on my own before so I would appreciate some advise. One of the return flights I have looked into has quite long stop overs in Bangkok - One 13hrs 45 min and the other 22hrs 10 mins. My question is are you able to leave the airport during this time and if so what happens with your checked baggage. We are thinking of booking a hotel for both of the stopovers (we realise that the 13hr stop over wouldn't allow us much sleep but better than sleeping at the airport).The fights are with Lufthansa and Thai Airways.

Thank you.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Hi,

"My question is are you able to leave the airport during this time and if so what happens with your checked baggage. We are thinking of booking a hotel for both of the stopovers (we realise that the 13hr stop over wouldn't allow us much sleep but better than sleeping at the airport).The fights are with Lufthansa and Thai Airways."

==> In most cases it will be returned to you at the transit stop - in this case Bangkok - but that depends on the carrier involved.. I'd ask.

That stop is quite good IMHO, as hotels in Bangkok are rather affordable, and with the longer 22hr stop, you are effectively getting a one-day mini-vacation included.

If the carrier WILL retain your bags, then you can just pack a small cabin bag with what you'll need (or request they be returned to you in BKK).. If they can't or won't retain them during the stopover, AND you do NOT want them back and/or don't want to carry them with you to your hotel or otherwise, you can leave them at the airport in one of two secure left luggage shops right in the airport - just after you clear customs - for B100 (or about US$3 per day).

One thing to remember is that IF you do get your bags back, you will need to pass them thru Thai Customs, so be sure that you don't have anything that's prohibited as there's no exceptions for those who are leaving the next day.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 15 April 2014, 09:01
NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

I always used to fly as directly as possible to my destination but I'm kind of changing my viewpoint as I get older. I like the idea of a mini-break on a layover - even if that means just a hot shower and a stretch out on a real bed for a few hours - to break up the journey. The Lufthansa/Thai deal sounds good to me!

We flew Frankfurt-Sydney last year on Emirates and Qantas and I found it to be a long, long schlep - particularly Dubai to Sydney which felt like it never would end. I'd say that if the fare suits you and you're happy to book hotels en route, go for it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,571 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Hi,

Just to add to the excellent advice from GOPBI, a quick question - how did you narrow down your choices to LH, and TG? Was it based on stop over duration? Entirely subjective of course, but I could think of a couple of combination that I would consider more pleasant.

But of the choices listed, I too would opt for Thai. Shame QF5/6 is gone

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice.

I found the combination of LH and TG via a Webjet search. I have only just realised that the flight home gets back very late on the Sunday night so unfortunately that one is out... as we are going back to work on the Monday.

I have found another combination of flights... the second stopover is a bit shorter...

TG Sydney - Bangkok 13 hr stopover at night

LH Bangkok to Frankfurt

LH Frankfurt - Shanghai (Pu Dong Airport) 8 hr stopover during the day (11.35am - 7.35pm)

CA Shanghai - Sydney

Would the second stopover be long enough to have a little look around... i know it wouldn't be much time but would like to know if its worth leaving the airport or if we would have to wait around the airport for the 8 hours.

THank you again!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Also do you need a visa or anything if you leave the airport? Either in Bangkok or Shanghai?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

As an Australian passport holder you will just get a stamp in your passport when leaving immigration so you should be fine to go into Bangkok.

Some Chinese cities adopted a 72 hours visa free transit policy last year, Shanghai being one of them. As an Australia you won't need a visa in place, providing you have an onward flight ticket (which you will have). I'm assuming they just give you a transit visa when you pass through immigration.

Although having been in Shanghai last year I'd say you wouldn't get much out of potentially 3 hours in the city. You could get to Nanjing Road for a while and see the People's Park, but it would be quite rushed and personally I wouldn't do it.

Having not been in your situation I wouldn't take this advice as final! I'm sure the experts will correct me if I'm wrong about visa arrangements.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

<I'm assuming they just give you a transit visa when you pass through immigration.>

To avoid confusion I didn't mean an actual visa I just mean a stamp in your passport.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Have a look here to search for flights: http://www.skyscanner.net/

You can also select the journey duration to come up with shorter connection times.

Once you find a flight you like, then just book directly with the airline.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Hi,

In Bangkok, as you're carrying (what I am taking an odds-on bet is) a regular (as opposed to an official/service or diplomatic) Australian passport, you will get just an entry stamp that permits you to remain in the Kingdom for no longer than 30 days - which will obviously cover you for your short stay.

There is no visa, either in advance or upon arrival, that you will need to apply for. You will just complete a simple, two-part entry card, either on-board before arrival, or before you queue for Immigration clearance. That card will be stamped and one-half of it will be stapled into your passport and serves as your exit card when you seek to depart.

No fees are paid for this. All Thai airport, Customs/Immigration taxes/fees and other non-airline imposed fees are now included in, and collected as a part of normal ticketing and fare payment.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 15 April 2014, 10:47
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights from Sydney - Frankfurt

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice!