We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"If Only" courtesy of SouthWest airlines.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
"If Only" courtesy of SouthWest airlines.

If only all safety announcements were made this way.

Would certainly make passengers sit up & listen.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2604638/To-acti…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,379 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "If Only" courtesy of SouthWest airlines.

That is making the rounds on many US news stations too. I know that safety is paramount, but getting pax to read their little cards, and listen to the demos is almost impossible. Maybe such a delivery will catch their attention?

Many years ago, we were flying FC, and our purser went into her safety speech. When she got to the deployment of the masks, she added, "and the oxygen is complementary in First Class... " Later, I asked her if Coach pax needed "exact change." She was so happy that at least one person had caught her little line that she gave my wife and me a bottle of sparkling wine, when we deplaned - luckily, we were not connecting, go got to enjoy the wine.

Also, and regardless of how often one flies, things can change a bit. We have been doing exit row seating, whenever we are in the back of a plane. I know most of the craft flown by UA, but was surprised to see that many had been retro-fitted with safety cables from the over-wing to provide a little "handrail." Glad that I had read the card, and also noticed the new little cover by the door. Stuff can change.

Thanks for the link,

Hunt

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "If Only" courtesy of SouthWest airlines.

Thomson's safety video is done by 7 year olds. When it came on it really got every ones attention. No one expects to hear a child's voice. It was a great safety demonstration and for once I think most people were watching.

It has been said that you are more likely to get out of a plane if you have watched the safety demo, if there is an emergency. I have to day I do and I count the seat backs to the exits. Hope I never have to use it.

Airlines need to think of ways of getting passengers attention.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "If Only" courtesy of SouthWest airlines.

Haha this is a great story, it's true that people are becoming increasingly complacent and like Hunt said - things change! I have always thought the best way to get people's attention would be to spontaneously carry out a simulation emergency situation before departing, to get people thinking about what they would really do in that situation. But that may be quite cruel and possibly not good for the faint hearted!

I am flying Southwest soon so hopefully will see this real-time! The funniest one I've ever seen was a flight in New Zealand where they got Bear Grylls, the survivalist, to do the full video for the safety procedures. I must admit I was glued to the screen :-) I guess they're cottoning on to the fact that less people listen and coming up with novel ideas to make them!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,379 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "If Only" courtesy of SouthWest airlines.

<<Thomson's safety video is done by 7 year olds.>>

Now THAT is an interesting concept! Hope that the pax DID watch, listen and learn.

We were recently on an A-319 in exit row. Across the aisle were two fellows, who looked like they could get the over-wing exit open and handled, if necessary, but they were both on their iPhones/Droids in deep conversations. When the FA came to us, and asked if we could follow the instructions and handle the duties, neither responded, and ignored her completely. She opened and then slammed the overhead bin, to get their attention. They finally answered "yes" to her question. When time for the safety demo came, they were back on their phones, and not paying any attention, though the cabin doors had been long closed.

About that time I was thinking "oh shoot, they're going to hold up this flight, and re-seat these two, or kick 'em off the plane." Finally, they did hang up, but grabbed NC earphones to drown out the safety talk. The FA took off each set of earphones and told them that if they were going to sit in the over-wing, they had better listen to the purser, and she insisted that each read the card. Good for her!

Now I was thinking, "I am so lucky to have my OWN over-wing, and know how it works, 'cause those blokes are going to get someone killed, if they are required to do anything." Fortunately, we did not need them to perform any duties on that flight, or many would have been completely hosed!

Though in most years I fly from 1 - 3x per week, I always check everything out, and at least have the courtesy to listen to the same demo that I have heard for years. Twice I have found that I was missing my life jacket (once from HNL to SFO, so got one of the spares), and I always want to know if we have the old-style life jackets, or the newer ones - enough differences to create problems if things go pear-shaped. Once, as a joke with our purser, I recounted the safety talk, and other than juxtaposing the seatbelt spiel with the oxygen masks, did a passable job - and got some of the wine from FC delivered back to my seat in E+.

First, however, you gotta' get their attention. Then, you gotta' get 'em to think a bit. I mean heck, things will likely go smoothly, but they might not, and lives can depend on it. Like that "aisle lighting to the exits." UA was a client of mine, and I got to attend many of their training sessions (and do some simulators too!!!) in Denver. The head training officer loved to really mess the trainees up a bit, and one way was to kill all lights, INCLUDING those aisle lights, then with IR watch them struggle. Who counts the actual rows to the nearest exit? Could YOU find it in pitch darkness? Every now and then he'd do the same thing with the cockpit crews, like throw in every emergency situation and system failure possible, to see how they reacted. It was training like that, that allowed Capt. Sullenberger to save his US flight in the Hudson. How many pax could even find their life jackets, though instructions are given verbally, and printed on the safety cards? My guess is 1:100, and that includes the higher status FF's too.

Hunt

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "If Only" courtesy of SouthWest airlines.

Pegasus Airlines have a cutie, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPLJV6YcvUE

6. Re: "If Only" courtesy of SouthWest airlines.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:17