We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand luggage / carry on size

Germany
Level Contributor
570 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hand luggage / carry on size

Hello,

I need to buy a new piece of hand luggage, and want to be smart about it so I'm looking for the size/weight limit allowed by the different European carriers for short and medium haul flights, but couldn't find a reliable source online beside going to each and every carrier's website.

The few websites I found have either concentrated on US carriers, gave info that I know from experience is not correct or missing info (for instance - just weight and not size).

Do you know where I could find such info?

Which are the strictest European airlines with regards to hand luggage size?

I of course want it to be the biggest possible size but still always be accepted as hand luggage.

Thanks

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hand luggage / carry on size

This may be a start....

…about.com/od/…hand-baggage-allowance.htm

UK
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hand luggage / carry on size

A lot of airlines follow the IATA standard which is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, but some - such as Ryanair - have lower limits. Ryanair is 55 x 40 x 20. Don't know if anyone has a lower limit than that.

In addition to size you also need to consider weight - most airlines have a weight limit somewhere around 10 kg or lower.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hand luggage / carry on size

AFAIK Wizz Air is the strictest when it comes to carry on - 42x32x25cm

If you want to take the "normal size" - 56x45x25cm - you have to pay a fee with them.

Germany
Level Contributor
570 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hand luggage / carry on size

Thanks all for the info! It is most useful!

Didn't remember BA had such a generous weight allowance.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hand luggage / carry on size

Go for something which GENUINELY meets Ryanair's requirements - ie the case must fit in a box 55x40x20cm and you'll be covered for most airlines

So take a tape measure when you buy and measure the case carefully, do not rely on the manufacturers claims which are as reliable as a politician's promises

Also take some scales - some hand luggage is so heavy you couldn't pack much more than a change of underwear in them without going over weight limits

6. Re: Hand luggage / carry on size

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:17