We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

I need to fly to Bangalore for business next month. From what I could see, there are no direct options from PHL or NY, even from JFK.

My company will spring for business class (yay!). I'm exploring whether to break up the flight so I'm not flying/or on a layover for 24+ hours straight. I could add a one night stay on the front end and maybe a 2-night stay on the back-end. My preference would be to fly through Europe, but am somewhat open to the Middle East (Doha or Dubai), although there is a chance that I'll be traveling by myself and, as a single woman, I would be slightly more comfortable on my own in Western Europe. My dates are somewhat flexible, insofar as I am the one who can set the schedule in India - I just need to be there in May, the earlier the better, and for about a week.

Has anyone flown this leg and what are some of the better options in terms of stopover cities? Any airline preferences? I've already heard to avoid Air India.

Thanks in advance!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Hi,

Question.. Is mileage accrual an issue? Meaning, do you collect miles/points in one or more specific programs now..

This trip in C/J would be a decent chunk of miles, so who you fly, ego the carrier or program that the miles/points would be earned under, might matter to you.

Travel Safe.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,538 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

have you looked at www.kayak.com or http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

There are plenty of airlines that go from PHL to Europe and then a few connect to BLR. Lufthansa is great in Business but others such as British or Air France

Do you have a preference for an airline or an alliance ? That may help you. I would try and fly nonstop from Europe or Asia instead of connecting in an Indian City.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 22:47
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Thanks! With PHL as my home airport, I have USAir status (just Silver Preferred) so USAir or a oneworld alliance carrier would be a preference. I've spent quite a bit of time looking at options on kayak (always a go-to for me) but thought soliciting input from other travelers would also be helpful. I've never used the other site you linked, but will check it out. I've flown BA (once had a random upgrade to first class for a PHL-LHR flight - the shangri-la of chance upgrades) and Air France, but never Lufthansa.

Thanks for your input.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Believe Delhi and Mumbai are the two main international airports in India. Delhi is a beautiful airport. Mumbai, not as much. You can definitely fly on United direct from Newark. I've done that and it's not bad for such a long flight, and in business would be just fine. Then you can connect from Delhi or Mumbai to Bangalore.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

If you're US Airways/OneWorld, then I'd look at BA via London Heathrow, and Qatar via Doha (though it looks like you'd have a massive layover at DOH).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,538 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Wes wrote

>>>Delhi is a beautiful airport. Mumbai, not as much

Are you sure Wes? Have you been to the new T2 international in Mumbai ?

rediff.com/business/…1

As i mentioned, it would be best to fly non-stop from Europe instead of a connection in India. As nice as Mumbai International is, one still has to take a bus or cab to the domestic terminal. Also the bulk of the flights into India from Europe and other parts of Asia are in the middle of the night so transferring then is not fun

Itasoftware is owned by Google now

Edited: 16 April 2014, 23:50
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

No have not been to Mumbai in maybe 2 years. Don't remember the terminal number.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Be aware that BLR is well outside Bangalore, and the express road is still under construction. So currently it's a good 45 minutes to an hour by car along a bumpy construction site.

The other issue is that most of the international flights (especially from Europe) arrive at stupid o'clock in the morning (2-3am).

What I now do, if I have to go to Bangalore first, is take the United non stop from EWR to BOM. That arrives at about 9.20pm, so I overnight at an airport hotel, and then take a domestic connection the next morning (I use Jet Airways for that). I prefer that much better to getting into a Bangalore hotel at 3.30-4am.

It's not OneWorld but it's convenient.

(Wes, the new INT terminal at BOM opened 2 months ago. Haven't used it yet. My last flight was in October to the dump)

Edited: 17 April 2014, 03:53
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Etihad (which is a good airline) recent announced it's doing direct Philadelphia-Doha flights - I suspect a quicker route than going via Europe centreforaviation.com/analysis/emirates-etih…

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Thanks . . . Great feedback from everyone!

USBusinessTraveller, how is United's business class? Is there a hotel you recommend by the Mumbai airport?