We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

I need to fly to Bangalore for business next month. From what I could see, there are no direct options from PHL or NY, even from JFK.

My company will spring for business class (yay!). I'm exploring whether to break up the flight so I'm not flying/or on a layover for 24+ hours straight. I could add a one night stay on the front end and maybe a 2-night stay on the back-end. My preference would be to fly through Europe, but am somewhat open to the Middle East (Doha or Dubai), although there is a chance that I'll be traveling by myself and, as a single woman, I would be slightly more comfortable on my own in Western Europe. My dates are somewhat flexible, insofar as I am the one who can set the schedule in India - I just need to be there in May, the earlier the better, and for about a week.

Has anyone flown this leg and what are some of the better options in terms of stopover cities? Any airline preferences? I've already heard to avoid Air India.

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,053 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Dear OP,

Have you travelled to a developing country before ? Having been to both cities just last month on business I was quite overwhelmed with Bombay airport on the arrivals side (on previous visits where I had to do that domestic transfer) and then having to get to a hotel and then get to the domestic terminal - was an ok process for me but for someone who has not been to India, it can be an experience . perhaps the new international airport arrivals will be better but I have only used the departure part and that airport is huge and surprisingly nice

With due respect to USBT, who I have a lot of respect for

IMHO if you are a one world member fly BA, you get plenty of miles and yes you do arrive in the middle of the night in BLR and you should be able to arrange transport from your hotel (as you can in BOM as well) but BLR is not that packed and the drive that late into the city will be with minimal traffic

I flew Lufthansa to BLR and it was a great experience.

If you do want to go via the Newark flight , united business first is not bad but I prefer BA Club world in general but have not been on it recently

Edited: 17 April 2014, 18:50
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

Thanks, belomiser. Good point - I don't have much experience in travelling to developing countries. My company will arrange car service for me from BLR to my hotel, so even if it is in the middle of the night, perhaps that's the better option.

Thanks again. Great feedback from very helpful TAs.

13. Re: PHL to Bangalore, India - itinerary options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:16