We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying with 220 adapters

Richardson, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
flying with 220 adapters

I'm planning to travel by air from US to UK. I would like to take along a large (7 pound) 220 to 110 voltage adapter in carry on luggage. Will this be a problem coming or going? Any advice on how to do this without problems?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying with 220 adapters

It shouldn't cause any problems unless there is a weight restriction for carry on of 7kg but what is it you need a voltage adaptor for?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,377 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying with 220 adapters

7 lbs adaptor ? I presume this is not for a laptop or phone charging but for some other machine or medical that needs voltage conversion ? Why do you not want to check it in ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying with 220 adapters

What you are describing does not sound like an "adapter". Most likely it is a voltage *converter*, which usually contains a small transformer to go from 220V to 120V. You probably don't need that - most modern electronic devices can run on any voltage between 115 and 240, so all you really need is an "adapter", which is a small plug that allows a US two prong device to be used with some other country's outlet.

If you can clarify what kind of device you are wanting to provide power for, then maybe we can give you some alternatives that will not require you to take a full-fledged converter.

-JimG

4. Re: flying with 220 adapters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 06:15