We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a first?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,944 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a first?

Vietnam Airlines flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap via Luang Prabang - just one of those little turbo prop planes with 70 passengers - but a full flight to LP and about 60 on the leg from LP to REP. About a dozen in our situation - transiting in LP, the rest joining the flight in Luang Prabang.

We arrived in Siem Reap and got through the Visa on arrival and waited for our luggage - and waited - and waited - and waited..... and we're still waiting.

It seems that none of the luggage for any of the passengers on the LP > REP leg was loaded... not a single piece.

I can understand one case going astray, or even on a big flight, one of those metal bins going missing - but a whole plane load of luggage? .. surely that is a first.

Their excuse.(from the increasingly frazzled lady in the lost luggage office in REP ... "it was a little plane so not enough room for all the bags" ..now that is priceless!

So off we go to the market to get some knickers, a swimming costume and something clean to wear tomorrow while we wait for the missing bags to arrive. Glad I have travel insurance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a first?

No, it's not a first, the bags will be flown out later. I'm sure they told you that already.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a first?

HI,

Was there a weight restriction on that specific flight? Smaller aircraft can be more susceptible to weight restrictions based on the aircraft, it's weight, runway length and atmospheric conditions.

Travel Safe,

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,944 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a first?

No I meant is it the first time that a flight has departed without a single piece of luggage being loaded.

They told us they will fly a "big plane" tomorrow with room for all tomorrows passengers, their luggage AND our luggage.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a first?

A friend swore that the exact same thing happened on a Cabo Verde Airlines flight from Fortaleza, Brazil to Sal, Cape Verde and connecting to Dakar, Senegal.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 17:51
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,944 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a first?

Gopbi .. I can't see weight being the issue - there were actually less passengers on the 2nd leg than the first,

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a first?

No, someone posted on here about the same thing awhile ago. It's not the first time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a first?

I'd have to agree with post #2. This is not a first, and it sounds as if your bags will arrive tomorrow. This is why many people travel with a small carryon with essentials and a change of clothing. The one time I didn't do this, of course, was the time I needed it!

hilton head, sc
Level Contributor
138 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a first?

Used to happen a lot in the Caribbean years ago (never had ALL the luggage stay behind). We flew LIAT among the little islands in small turboprops and weight/temperature/paid-freight-versus-luggage was the reason luggage was off-loaded and sent later. LIAT (Leeward Islands Air Transport) was called Luggage Is Always Tardy, or Leave Island Any Time because of the luggage issue, and because the pilots would sometimes decide it was time to go, regardless of what the schedule said.

No problem,mon. Not get vexed. Soon cum.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,242 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a first?

I always have one or two sets of clothes in my carry on bag for just such an occasion...plus a pair of clean knickers in an inside pocket of my travel handbag.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a first?

Gopbi .. I can't see weight being the issue - there were actually less passengers on the 2nd leg than the first,

Number of passengers per se is not relevent.If the runway is much shorter or there obstacles in the take off path this will have a much greater effect on allowable payload.