We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport security.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Airport security.

We recently had to go through airport security in Brisbane to meet my son. I had to stop and fuddle around with a spray deodorant and my husband, not realising till later, waltzed on through with a retractable fruit knife(maybe 2 inches long) attached to his keys. A bit scary really.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport security.

That does happen. Some people forget that if they're given a gate pass to go air side then they must also conform to the security requirements, even if they're not flying. Hopefully you'll not forget next time. :-)

Edited: 21 April 2014, 02:02
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport security.

Hi.

Not sure what your concern is? Non-locking blades up to 2.3 inches are allowed, I believe. So your husbands pocket knife sounds fine. Aerosols need to be taken out of hand luggage during security screening.

And all people going airside need to clear security.

Your experience sounds in line with the above.

Abs :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport security.

I thought knives were banned,,,I can't see it on the Brisbane site it says they are prohibited but can't see where it says non locking knives are allowed,,,are they?

To the op, why are you scared? Because he got through with a retractable fruit knife and they did not spot it?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport security.

Exactly. You could do some damage with that knife.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport security.

You could, and if they are banned should have been spotted. However to be fair, he is not getting anywhere near the cockpit and can't blow up the plane with it, so although he could stab a couple of people, I doubt he would be able to create a major incident. They probably just thought it was his keys.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport security.

And your spray deodorant and a lighter could cause a lot more damage if you were that way inclined.....

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport security.

As far as the government is concerned ALL knives are banned ... retractable or not. It's possible there are many things that get through ... even fake passports which we all know about now.

…infrastructure.gov.au/domestic/prohibited_l…

8. Re: Airport security.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16