We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration/custom questions in French?

Bellevue, Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
Immigration/custom questions in French?

Hey people, I am travelling to France soon and I am wondering what kind of questions french immigration will ask and how to answer them! I heard they ask questions in french so if you could write them for me so I can practice I would appreciate it so much. Thanks!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

I wouldn't stress about it - in all probability the Immigration/Customs officers you encounter will speak English or a translator will be available in the very unlikely event they don't speak English.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

I've gone into France dozens of times. They usually just glance up at you to see if your face matches your documents, but are otherwise disinterested in talking. I don't remember talking to them ever. If anything, if you enter in France and depart somewhere else like Germany, the Germans will find visa stamps and other data missing, confusing or both from your entry into the EU through France. When you explain to them that you entered through France, the Germans will just roll their eyes, mumble something about the French, and let you continue on your way.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,383 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

They usually just look at your passport and stamp it. I have never been asked a question!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

I travel to France all the time and I've never been asked a question either.

UK
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

Lexexpress, you are, presumably, a British or other EU citizen?

They're not allowed to ask us questions. We have a right of entry. It's different for the other contributors who are all American.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

They've asked me several times why I'm in France and how long I was there for. They've asked in English. Many times, as previously said, they just make sure your passport picture matches your face. Don't worry about it. It's a non-event.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

Been to France twice and never got asked a question. The first time I said Bonjour when I walked up and they rolled their eyes at me. I kept my mouth shut and just smiled the second time.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,383 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

Well, I'm American and no one in Europe(including France) has ever asked me an immigration question

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

I heard they ask questions in french so if you could write them for me so I can practice I would appreciate it

------

Someone is winding you up.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Immigration/custom questions in French?

The one time an agent spoke to me. He said. 'Allo' to my bonjour and he gave me my stamped passport and I said Merci