We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conection time, cuting it short??

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Conection time, cuting it short??

Hello all, My Wife and I flying to LAX from Narita via Singapore airlines flight SQ12 arriving to Tom Bradley gate at 13:30, our final destination is El Paso, Tx and we ar still shoping arround for the last segment of our journey, found a good deal on Southwest airlines wich departs 16:55 from Terminal 1 so we would have roughly 3:30 to get trhu customs, pick up lugagge, get ourselvs to Southwest´s terminal, given we are not American Nationals, is this option risking it? wolud we have enogh time to board our final fligh? any opinions and imput wolud be highly appreciated

Tanx in advance

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

It's always a risk flying on 2 separate tickets.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

would we have enough time to board our final flight?

======

Will your first flight be rescheduled to arrive earlier or later?

Will your second flight be rescheduled to arrive earlier or later?

Will the first be late?

Will you get held up in immigration or customs?

Once you know the answer to those questions,which will be the day after your flight, then you'll know.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 15:09
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

I wouldn't want to on separate tickets.... If your incoming flight to LAX is on time you may make it depending on the immigration / customs queues but if there is any delay you could find yourself up the Rio Grande without a paddle.

Any later flights to give you some wriggle room?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,760 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

Hi,

That's do-able and about as close as I'd be comfortable with when on a 2-ticket booking... but it can't be stressed enough, IF, for ANY reason, you're late getting to LA, or even held up in Customs/Immigration, and because of this, you miss that WN flight, neither WN nor SQ will have any liability to you.

You'll essentially be subject to whatever is WN's policy on the matter or what does your tickets terms allow for.

IF you can accept this risk, then I think this is a do-able timeline.. BUT.. if you're concerned, or can't really afford that kind of a risk; then I'd book something later that gives you more cushion.

Travel Safe,

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

Does Southwest have a later flight that day?

3hrs. is the amount of time that is usually suggested when folks are on one ticket and have to change terminals. IF you are on 2 separate tix I'd want more time just in case of changes.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

Tanx all, there is no later flight on Southwest and probably get a later flight n cas of any delays, my first choicwe due to price would hace been that flight because any later wolde be about 40 dls mor for each of us plus bagagge fee given that southwest dosent charge for first two checked bags, but if i missed my final flight home it could be even more expensive

Tanx for helping me decide, will book a later flight

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

Have you bought your first flight already? If not, and you add a flight to El Paso to that itinerary, purchasing all flights together (note: can't do that with Southwest, whose tickets you'd need to purchase separately), you'd not have to pay baggage fees for the second flight, plus your bags should be transferred, and if you somehow miss your connection the airline taking you to El Paso should put you on a later flight (depending on seat availability). If you already purchased the flight to LAX and are buying a second ticket, odds are you'll have to fly as though on a completely separate ticket and pay baggage fees, though sometimes you can get the first airline to tag your bags to your final destination. Have you called SQ to see what your options might be? If you've bought your first ticket already, too bad you didn't check first, but what's done is done.

If you book with Southwest and miss the connection, they wouldn't charge you a fee to rebook, but normally would charge you any increased fare, and you'd be getting a last-minute fare (I've heard anecdotal evidence that Southwest sometimes waives this in such situations but have no personal knowledge). I assume you know that Southwest doesn't charge fees for the first two checked bags IF they are 50 lbs. or less; if not, you do pay a fee. And if you won't be able to access a computer to check in online with Southwest exactly 24 hours before your flight, in order to get a lower boarding number (no reserved seats), you might want to pay $12 per person for "Early Bird" check-in (still not at the head of the line but closer than if you just get a number when checking in at the airport; note if you miss your flight, that fee is not refundable).

Edited: 25 April 2014, 15:53
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

Have already purchased the SQ 11 and 12 flight and followed your advice on contacting the airline to see if i have other options

Tank you

9. Re: Conection time, cuting it short??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 06:16