We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

Bristol
Level Contributor
9 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

Which genius decided that touch screen were the way forward on the seat back tv's on Virgin Atlantic planes?

I have never had such a disturbed flight as my recent trip to Vegas, the guy behind kept Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap on the screen, you might as well give him a bucket of water to throw over me every half hour as well. My guess it was the same genius that planned the amount that the bar required which ran out less than half way into our trip. Well done Virgin.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,127 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

You never turned around and asked him to stop, or showed him the quieter way of doing it? So many flights have touch screens now, it's not an issue. Most people know you just need a light tap of the fingernail. ONce or twice (and only once or twice!) I've turned around and shown someone how to do it. Once in a while I even hear the flight attendant mention it during the pre-flight announcements.

You're not the first person to complain about the bar running dry on the flights to Las Vegas Nothing more than a "feeling", but I think it's deliberate; they don't want a planeload of people on a 10+ hour flight to a holiday destination getting out of control. For every 10 people that just want a split of wine with the meal and a gin and tonic a bit later, there's "the one" who wants 10 gin and tonics and next thing you know the "fun" begins. It's easier to say "we're out" to everyone instead of "YOU can't have your 11th gin and tonic. And please put your pants back on.' :)

Australia
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

I agree with you SkimadBristol about the touch screen AVOD! I've read reviews where people say an airline (Singapore, for example) are behind the times because they don't have touch screens - but really, it is the silliest idea.

Bring back the remote controls!

(It's also amazes me how thick some people can be when tapping on their screen, that they don't realise that it's actually the back of the person in front. Those people should have to sit on the wing.).

3. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 02:05
Edited: 01 May 2014, 02:05
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

Every time I've flown with Virgin to Vegas they've made the announcement about no more drink about half way in. I agree with IrishFan that it probably has more to do with crowd control and ensuring the party spirit that tends to predominate on that flight doesn't get completely out of hand. That route just attracts people who start drinking at Gatwick and have no intention of stopping until they return home, and its easier to pretend there's no more drink than it is to refuse individual passengers another. Completely agree with you about the touchscreens. Not a sensible idea on a seatback screen.

Bristol
Level Contributor
9 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

Thanks for all the constructive comments, the guy behind only had knuckles that he dragged along the ground, was one of the more inebriated travelers and didn't look like the type to respond favorably to any requests. . What was most annoying about the bar was that they put the seatbelt light on just to stop people getting up to ask for a drink, this stopped genuine people going to the bathroom and generally walking around to try to keep their circulation going. This is a health and safety issue, also I like red wine to help me sleep on a plane especially when people are tap tap tapping the back of my seat!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,769 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

Just want to say the touchscreen thing is not just a Virgin issue. It's the same on any airline with AVOD. I also don't like the things. Every one I've ever used also had a remote in the hand set and I actually find it easier to operate the things with the remote.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

I must confess that I prefer the touch screen more than the controls (on Top) of the arm rest, such as the case with my last flight on JetBlue. Every time I rested my arm, the channel would change. I had to remember to keep my elbow up in the air. But that was uncomfortable and by default, the elbow kept migrating to the arm rest, and thus a change of channel. The entire experience was ridiculous. I was so glad it was a short flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

Ehrm why did you not just move the remote, sit it on your lap or something,,,why would you possibly keep your elbow in the air for the duration of the flight?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

Not that it's possibly an excuse for the knuckle-dragger in the original compliant, but I know that Air NZ has some planes with touch-screens and some without. If you change planes from with to without it can be easy to be touching the screen and wondering why it doesn't work. Although generally you should figure it out pretty quickly (some people are very slow learners though).

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic Touch Screen TV's

All part of the economy experience ... no overhead space, permanently reclined seats, lack of any personal space ... the list goes on. The booze thing is a double edged sword, being a little bit inebriated helps cope but imagine if the neanderthal behind you was also really drunk?