We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Do People do this at Airports?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,239 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Why Do People do this at Airports?

Flying out on vacation tomorrow and the part I am dreading is the boarding part. Why do people insist on crowding around the gate? They always board first class, then passengers needing assistance or those with small children, then they board by rows or zones. Please people sit down until your row(s) is called and stop blocking the gate area! Thanks for your consideration.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

Great idea, amatrip!

canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

love these answers lol never heard the expression gate lice before.

NH
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

...Or have you been in a terminal that echoes with 4 other flights that are being boarded at the same time and you can't HEAR or understand your gate attendant???

We recently had a flight out of Chicago and the flight attendants accent was so thick that every passenger stand there was completely confused and not understanding her boarding instructions.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,414 posts
1,227 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

<<I have seen a few airlines now enforcing this. In the past year I have seen United asking folks to put their bags into the frame and also they pulled aside a passenger carrying 3 pieces on a different flight.>>

I am also seeing the baggage "sizers" put into service on UA more often, most recently at LHR for our flight to SFO. The GA's were also keeping an eye on the # of carry-ons, though one fellow with three, plus two shopping bags full of stuff did manage to sneak by.

At PHX, the UA GA's are very good, and quick, to help pax get gate-check tags for most flights, especially as the planes flown out of PHX are CRJ's, with very limited overhead bin space.

UA has also begun setting up neat lines for each Zone #, so that boarding is usually much better with Global Services, uniformed military, pax needing special considerations, sometimes Global FC pax, then Zone # 1, which will be 1K's, Business FC, etc.. Usually pretty orderly nowadays.

Fly safely,

Hunt

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

We recently had a flight out of Chicago and the flight attendants accent was so thick that every passenger stand there was completely confused and not understanding her boarding instructions.

Flight attendants doing a GA's job too? I bet the unions are thrilled!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

The funniest I find are those who can use the priority lane that can be accessed at any time during boarding but choose to camp out IN the lane for ages before boarding as if to show they're more special.

I've seen some people standing in it for over an hour before boarding with laptops out and working away looking like utter pillocks.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 17:31
Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

I am guilty of the three bag carry on I am afraid. I take a small carry on with essentials, my laptop within,and medications in case of a lost bag (or in the case of a short trip, just what I need). I have a small purse/handbag and I do in fact have a third piece which is my CPAP and does not count toward the carry on limit as it is a medical device.

I have often had gate agents question the third bag (it's not big by any means...smaller than many of the "handbags" I see getting trotted on. I simply respond medical device and show them the medical tag on the bag. never an issue. Under no circumstances will I ever check my cpap. It does fit nicely under the seat if needed and if bin space is tight I have no issues removing it to provide space for a rollerbag or whatever (which is at least twice the size so it only makes sense) I have on occasion not had the medical tage and simply say cpap and they let me proceed without issue. Could this be abused? sure I suppose. I don't quite understand the need to take everything but the kitchen sink on a vacation (let alone a business trip). I pack very lightly for most trips and go by the philosophy if I need it, I can generally buy it at my location.

Re gate lice? the WORST I have ever seen by far is in Orlando. Dear sweet heaven!!! I've never had my patience tried like I have departing that airport. Stollers everywhere, 500 people per family unit including cousins 10 times removed. We were fortunate to have been upgraded to business on our last flight out of Orlando after a business trip and I had one older lady literally jam her stroller in front of me as I was walking on the ramp to get into the plane to block me. They were lined up along one side as they were gate checking their stroller and she started yelling there was no way we should be allowed to get on the plane before them because they were there first. Her daughter was mortified and started to pull the stroller away accosting her mum saying "mum, please...they are in business class....let them pass" She insisted. A gate agent who was desperately trying to regain control at the main gate from the zombie like mob (seriously...that is what the scene was like...zombies trying to break a fence, kids crying, moms yelling), had to come through to get this woman out of the line. (She ended up getting on the flight but was forced to wait until the end due to her constant disruptions).

I have never ever seen anything like it. So many moms insisting they board before Business or anyone else, chaos...it was so loud even the speaker system could barely be heard.

When we got on board we simply looked at the flight attendant and said "you know what? just brace yourself....." she said. "oh it' can't be that bad" we said...just wait. About half way through the flight she came and stood behind our seats (last row biz class) and said "I didn't believe you, but I have never ever been on a flight with so many passengers who are this awful" Yup. (I was spending my time making soem dishclothes from crochet so I gave them to her after the flight to share and cheer up the crew)

I don't ever want to fly into Orland ever again as a result. I will drive from Tampa if need be.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

"Well, since the greedy airlines have started charging for checked bags, all those people want to get to their seats ASAP to take up the overhead space with the bags they want to call "carryons". So they want to be at the front of the line for their called rows."

Except that this behavior occurs on airlines with no baggage charges or flights with no baggage charges. Delta for example gives free checked bag in coach on international flight. Same 'gate herd mentality" applies.

The truth is people get into an airport and suddenly think that being rude is acceptable LOL!

NH
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

I'm sorry op2002, I meant "gate" agent not flight attendant. Thank you for your correction.

The female gate agent really didn't seem or fit into the roll of either profession (however). All I could think of was "prison camp woman" as she literally pushed passengers where she wanted them.

Waynesboro...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Why Do People do this at Airports?

Whether you are "caught out" or not for oversize carry-on bags has a lot to do with your status on the airline. When I was "platinum" I could carry on almost anything I wanted. Not so if you are just an "ordinary" passenger.