We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada/US flight question.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Canada/US flight question.

Hi... we are flying NY to Montreal and Toronto to San Francisco in early November. I have signed up for Skyscanner alerts ... and have looked a few times at Delta and AA for prices. So far the further ahead you book the cheaper it is ... but not by much.

Does anyone know if we will save by purchasing way in advance or are there "normally" sales for autumn travel periods? I know there is no definitive answer but does anyone know that there will be discounts "at some time" or the prices just stay static.

Thanks.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 05:56
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada/US flight question.

As you said there is no definitive answer SIgn up for alerts , check sites like kayak and bing travel and see what they show in terms of purchase confidence. Good luck

Also look at Air Canada from YYZ to SFO for non-stops

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada/US flight question.

It's very likely there will be sales at some point between now and your November dates. If I was you I'd wait and book in the next sale.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada/US flight question.

If anyone could actually provide an accurate answer to your question I am confident they would be earning more money and having less time to spend posting to a forum. The only tool I know of that would grant this information is a crystal ball.

I try to remain informed about airline fares to places I intend to visit. I have an excellent idea of what the "regular" fare is, and some experience with periods of time when it is traditionally lower. For example, I know that flights to Istanbul from either Chicago or NYC are under $700, and this has generally been true for the past three years. You need to have this base line information in order to be able to recognize a "sale" price when you see it.

I use update alerts, but I also check itamatrix almost daily. If I see a fare that is less than $700 I buy it instantly, and then I never check the fare again. I do not want to know if the fare becomes even cheaper at some point in the future.

It is, however, almost always true that plane fares increase the nearer you are to your departure date before you purchase a ticket. My general rule of thumb is to purchase a ticket no longer than 60 days prior to my travel date. They almost always start to climb from that point until departure.

You do need to watch. I fly to Utah several times every year. The standard fare has been around $400, and if I keep track of the fare I have often been able to purchase these tickets for as little as $250. Two weeks ago, the cost of the fare for the dates I wanted to travel this summer was $500. I elected to wait in the hope that one of those $250 tickets would show up. As I was waiting and checking fares at least twice a day, the $500 fare increased in one hour from $500 to $800. This was a bit unusual because normally they start to kind of creep up. I seldom see them jump $300 in the space of 60 minutes.

I do not know why it has suddenly become so much more expensive. I am still hoping that the price will decline, but I am now within the 60 day window. If it does not come down, I will not be taking this trip because I am not paying $800 for domestic coach travel purchased this far in advance.

Become aware of general prices. Subscribe to travel alerts. Establish a base line beyond which you are not willing to travel. When the price begins to creep up, I generally purchase rather than hope it will somehow creep back down.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada/US flight question.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys ... we will just have to wait and see.

5. Re: Canada/US flight question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 06:16