We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United refund policy on medical condition

US
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
United refund policy on medical condition

Hello, we had to cancel our flight due to my medical condition. I was advised to cancel and submit the refund form. However, our refund was rejected and United claims that I can only receive refund only if I can never fly in my life. Is this their standard policy for refund?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

Their policy is what it is. That's why buying travel insurance is recommended. Next time, Sit, maybe spend some time reading the forums for helpful information. Chuck.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

You can call customer service, but my experience is that you may get a change fee waived to book another flight, but NOT get a full refund. You did realize you were buying a non-refundable fare, right? The conditions for refund should be spelled out on the Web site.

We had to cancel flights with Delta due to a medical condition in the family and had change fees waived. We used the credit for subsequent flights. Only time we got a full refund was with Southwest. I'd call United's policy standard. You can't see using the credit for the flight for a future trip (may have a year in which to use it)?

Edited: 02 May 2014, 00:34
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

These types of situations are usually handled on a case by case basis. A lot depends on the condition, how suddenly it happened,, how long it will last, was it pre-existing, etc. I've gotten refunds due to emergency medical issues in the past. However, now that I'm being treated for these issues, I doubt very seriously that I could get a refund in the future. From now on, I'll be buying the insurance for our more substantial (read expensive) trips.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,296 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

United's policy regarding medical cancellations is surprisingly generous (at least it appears so to me). But, as vegas-guide says each case is decided at the airline's discretion.

I don't have any first hand experience (touch wood), but from reports on here they have either refunded, or given waivers to passengers with a broken leg, a passenger and (another case) a relative taken dangerously ill. At the same time someone whose parent was diagnosed with an early stage illness was declined on the grounds that, at that time, the illness wasn't imminently life threatening.

And so, while it's a pretty generous policy, it's no substitute for having travel insurance booked asap after you book your flights, which covers cancellations before flying, and changes to your travel while on your trip.

United is my main airline, but even with this I'd personally not be relying on this in lieu of your own insurance.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 05:29
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
472 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

Refunds may be allowed for some humanitarian reasons, but unless there's a specific clause in the COC to the contrary, they're certainly not obligated to grant them.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

The standard is non refundable means just that. Anything else is a gift

7. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 13:35
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

I suspect the agents who process them have a lot of discretion-I had a very positive experience-I had to cancel my trip CID-BOM-CCU last November- I had an abdominal surgery for cancer-they refunded everything, including the E+ fees. I was advised to submit a doctor's letter, which I did.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

Actually I suspect the opposite, they will have little discretion, the policy for key types of illnesses will be clearly outlined and they will follow basically a decision tree. Approvals outwith will require more senior sign off.

To the op, do you not have travel insurance you can claim on?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,893 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United refund policy on medical condition

If it is a flare up of a pre existing condition then even most travel insurance policies won't allow a claim on it.

BTW froggy , it is not a USA tradition to have a travel insurance policy in place.Most folks don't travel enough to warrant it and don't think about taking one out for just their one trip a year. These past few years the airlines now will sell you an insurance plan when you buy your ticket but lots of folks don't bother to buy it. I know they probably should but it is a learning process and more and more people are now learning they need insurance!

To the OP some credit cards now also offer insurance so I'd check with them to see if you can claim anything that way.