We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porter to charge for checked luggage

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Porter to charge for checked luggage

The trend continues. Porter will soon start charging $25.00 for the first checked bag on domestic flights. I'm not sure why the same does not apply to flights to the US, though. Here is a quote from the CTV news Ottawa website (I don't want to post the link as I am unclear on the TA policy):

"Published Friday, May 2, 2014 8:21PM EDT

TORONTO -- Porter Airlines will begin charging $25 for the first bag and $35 for a second bag checked on travel booked after April 21.

The Toronto-based airline said Friday that previous rules will continue to apply for flights booked before April 21 or for travel occurring before May 14.

Porter's spokesman says the airline is trying to strike a balance between allowing passengers to carry more baggage under a higher weight allowance brought in last year and its need to compete with airlines that charge a wider range of fees.

"Airfares are very competitive and passengers are benefiting from lower prices by as much as 60 per cent where Porter provides competition," Porter spokesman Brad Cicero said in an email."

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porter to charge for checked luggage

Unfortuantely they have followed this track but they are still cheaper (and with better service) than Air Canada even with the luggage charge. Personally I think luggage should be charged by weight at check-in. They weigh it anyway so why not charge those who have the full 23 kg/50 lbs the full $25.00 and less for less weight. I really hope they enforce the 1 carry-on + 1 personal and not let things get out of control like Air Canada and most American carriers have done... although the gate check/sky-check system is very convenient as it is.

2. Re: Porter to charge for checked luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 06:16