We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Etihad Airways 1st class

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New Etihad Airways 1st class

No comment

…ndtv.com/news/corporates/article-dubai-base…

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Etihad Airways 1st class

It is not really a new 1st class. It is only 1 room / 'residence' per aircraft and only on the A380.

Great marketing and advertising.

Etihad has firm orders for 10 A380 only. That makes 10 "residences" in the total fleet.

Some more info: gulfnews.com/business/aviation/etihad-to-lur…

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Etihad Airways 1st class

Hi,

To me the crux here is this..

"James Hogan, President and CEO of Etihad Airways, said the pricing structure is far more attractive than the up to $160,000 it costs to fly in a private jet from Abu Dhabi to London."

I think the EY is going for those travel budget and/or travel needs are somewhat on the "tipping point" of going private jet versus the most upper class commercial offering...

I suspect that for larger groups, where the EY offering is going to be too small, then means a charter or exclusive jet is better or more economical on a per-person basis, and for those who are smaller groups, the EY offering is going to be the more cost-effective route.

Given what I suspect is their premium cabin passenger demographic, I suspect this is going to be a net good move for them.

Travel Safe,

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,039 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Etihad Airways 1st class

I agree.

Stick a product on top of the pyramid, and there will always be someone interested. To put it in perspective, there are hotel rooms around the world that go for $40-60,000/night - and people actually pay it

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Etihad Airways 1st class

It does seem that they are moving a bit into sister company Royal Jet territory. I guess guess that they will not be refitting Air Berlin to match :-)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Etihad Airways 1st class

From what I understand it will cost around GBP 12'000 for a ticket to London in the 'residence'. And again it only will be in their rel. small A380 fleet.

Again, this is not really a product offering to generate money. This is advertising to change the perception of the airline. And it works. There is newspaper, radio and even TV coverage. The cost to buy the amount of advertising would have been very expensive. Plus they probably will claim a Guinness world record. which gives them even more coverage.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Etihad Airways 1st class

Great marketing!

7. Re: New Etihad Airways 1st class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 06:16