We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

Lavagna, Italy
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

Do not get mislead by low cost business class tickets from some airline companies.

I recently bought a Business class ticket with Austrian Airline that was only few Euro cheaper from other companies.

For a crowded situation at the check-in, they closed the check-in while I was in the queue and they gave my seat to someone else.

When I went to the ticket counter to booked me in another flight, they asked me 4000 Euro more for flying in economy class, and they refuse to refund my ticket.

I had to purchase another ticket from another company.

Check the refund flight condition before you buy a business class tickets, apparently not all the companies has the same policies.

How can I get my money back?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

Did you fail to check in on time? If so, and the ticket was non refundable, then you won't get your money back (nor should you) because you missed your flight.

Being in a queue to check in means nothing if you left it too late, or did not arrive early enough.

So you have lost your money, and I don't see why the airline should pay you anything

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

You likely can't get a refund for a non-refundable ticket when you checked in too late.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

Doesnt OS have a priority lane for business class? Priority queues are not *crowded* . I assume you turned up too late and your seat went to standby. This is what happens. Next time read the T&C, check in times, and you will not encounter listed problems. Non-refundable means just what the word says = no money back.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

It's not just low cost airlines that have non-refundable business tickets. If I remember correctly, also BA has discounted business class tickets that are non-refundable. It's useful to read the small print whenever buying something expensive.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

So in a nutshell it sounds like the OP didn't allow themselves enough time to check in ?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

#4 - Austrian is not a lowcost airline. It is a *Alliance member, and Austrian belongs to Lufthansa.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

Austrian is very clear about what type of ticket you book. That is why they call the cheapest tickets 'red tickets' and business is separated in 'basic' and 'flex'. Further the basic T&C's are shown on the website when you pick the flight. This is much more transparent than the classic T&C 'click to see' box.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

Just because it is Business Class does not make it a full fare refundable ticket. I have found some good deals on premium cabin tickets. None of the good deals were refundable

As to how OP gets his money back.i don't see any reason he is due a refund based on current info

9. Re: No refundable tickets with Austrian Airline?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 06:17