We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can the airlines justify this

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How can the airlines justify this

I am off to Hong Kong in November and am flying Economy one way and Business on the return.

For reasons of personal convenience, I want to travel out of Gatwick but return to Heathrow

On Emirates, my preferred carrier, I have received the following quotes:-

Gatwick --> HKG --> Gatwick £1332

LHR ---> HKG ---> LHR £1372

LGW ---> HKG ---> LHR £1925

How can Emirates justify the price hike of nearly £600 ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can the airlines justify this

Higher demand for the route, probably even higher airport charges to fly from there for the airline.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,578 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can the airlines justify this

Hi,

Is the LHR->LGW service in the same fare class as the LGW->LGW and LHR->LHR service? I'd assume they consider both LHR and LGW to be "co-terminals", but I'm not sure how BA address this.

Travel Safe,

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can the airlines justify this

Just did a dummy booking with your schedule for a date in November. The price on the website quoted was GBP 1'448.50.

Maybe you try it again.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can the airlines justify this

My travel dates are 19 Nov out of gatwick and 29 Nov back to lhr.

The flights selected were :-

EK016 LGW to DXB

EK382 DXB to HKG

returning

EK381 HKG to DXB

EK001 DXB to LHR

The total cost, including all fees and taxes comes up at £1925. The booking enquiry has been made on emirates.com using the multiple stopover option

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How can the airlines justify this

The flight to LHR makes it expensive. LHR-HKG-LHR with your dates and class would cost you GBP 1962.92.

Hence think about booking LGW-HKG-LGW which will cost you GBP 1332.64.

London, United...
Level Contributor
799 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How can the airlines justify this

Have you tried a straight return using LON (London all airports) as your departure point ?

It works for me on BA and enables a straightforward return instead of multi city, which might have different fare rules.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How can the airlines justify this

All airports have charges that are in the ticketing ... and not all airports charge the same.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How can the airlines justify this

How can Emirates justify the price hike of nearly £600 ?

=====

Because people are prepared to pay it for your dates and times. That's all the "justification" they need, they wouldn't be a very efficient business if people were prepared to pay £600 more and they didn't charge that.

What about if you just take a straightforward return from LGW and then take a nice limo service to LHR upon arrival back? Depending upon flight times it might get you there same time or earlier (or of course, later is possible also)

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How can the airlines justify this

Dubai_Phil - if you look at my opening post, I set out all the fare combinations.

As you can see LHR-->HKG-->LHR on the dates that I have selected, going out Economy and returning Business Class works out at £1372, not £1962.

The £1962 fare that you are quoting is LGW--->HKG ---> LHR

Joe - I will be taking advantage of the complimentary service, and if that is not available, I will take a cab for about £70 to get me back home. I cannot see any justification for laying out the extra £600

Edited: 06 May 2014, 09:10
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,839 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How can the airlines justify this

< How can the airlines justify this >

Because airlines are money making organisations, therefore they charge what they can based on the demand for specific flights.