We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

Genoa, Italy
1 post
Save Topic
homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

I'd like to know if I can carry homemade sauce in a glass jar, olive oil and some bottles of wine on the plane to the USA.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

These are all liquids so unless they are under 100ml you cannot take them in your hand luggage.

You can take them in your checked luggage in the hold but you may wish to wrap them particularly carefully.... Imagine the carnage if they smash when your checked bag is being bashed about by the baggage handlers.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,707 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

I'd say no because of the 100ml max liquid rules.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

Sure,,,as long as they are tiny little jars and tiny little miniature bottles of wine,,,all under 100 ml:-))

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,137 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

Oh froggy you crack me up lol

And do they really mean sauce? In some circles, home made *sauce* could very well mean moonshine ya know. But I'd say I agree with MrMarcoos and Tom, regardless of the content of this 'sauce'.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 19:40
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

Lol,,,never had it,,,but pretty sure moonshine is still liquid,,,I think...:-))

Ps and if it is moonshine,,,I don't think they will need more than a 100 ml. Lol.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,537 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

You can carry liquids (home made or otherwise ) in your checked luggage but not in your carry on luggage. Please sure the liquids are sealed and in plastic bags so as to prevent leakage.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,588 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

Manuela is from Genoa, so 'sauce' could be one that is tomato based or (possibly even better) some pesto genovese - mmmm.

As far as quantities go, as above, you cannot take containers holding more than 100 mL of sauce, whether marinara or pesto, on board the plane. Check here before placing any well wrapped and padded items in your checked bag as well: https:/…1

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

Hi,

As this *sounds* like an international arrival, do remember that when you arrive into the US from a foreign point, you'll have to clear US Customs and Immigration processing.

As a part of that, one of the questions asked on the arrival declaration form is do you have any "food".. As such, be sure you answer this question truthfully.

The food question does not distinguish between commercially purchased or packaged foods, and those that are done 'at home" or similar.

A good overview from the US CBP here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Travel Safe,

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

Following up on GOPBI's answer. The US takes food seriously. They have dogs that will sniff luggage to identify if they contain food.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: homemade sauce on the plane to the USA

My dog can do that,,,:-))