We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Galston, Ayrshire
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Since there have been lots of threads on this subject but not a lot of answers I thought I would share my experience of the new check-in system.

My flight is from Prestwick to Faro on 14.05.14 returning on 21.05.14. The first thing is that you can login to your flight and put your API details in up to 30 days in advance whether or not you intend to check-in. This saves time when you check-in later.

I decided to take a chance on the 7 day free allocated seats. You login to your flight and you are faced with two options, Purchase an allocated seat or free randomly allocated seat. If you chose the second option then it will tell you the date you can check-in. In my case this was 7.05.14. There is a lot of debate about when in the day you can do this so I tried on the 7th at just after midnight even though my flight is at 16:40 it allowed me to check-in. This is great because if you are on a 7 day holiday you can check-in your return flight on the day you leave, saving you paying for a return seat or printing a boarding pass when you are away.

Before I had tried the free option I clicked on the purchase option to see what seats had already been taken. Only 16 out of the 198 seats had been allocated so their take-up of the charges is poor. I did this to see if there was availability of seats together. I should also point out that the seats would cost me £10 each for this flight and £15 for the premium ones.

So I came back out of this option and chose the free seats. You do not get any choice and neither do you know which seats you get until you have completed the process and view / print your boarding cards. We got seats 18D and 18E which are together and I believe the row behind the premium exit seats. This disproves that Satan's Airline would deliberately put one person in the hold and the other outside on the wing if you don't pay up.

Sorry if this is long winded but these are the answers to questions that may help others decide whether to pay or not.

My summary is that if you want to take a chance on the free allocated seats, check-in as early as you can to try and get seated together, but IF it is important for your family or group to get seated together then bite the bullet and pay the price. It also suggests that they fill the plane from the middle first.

88 replies to this topic
Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Andy, thank you for being so helpful! Thankfully I have traveled in Europe enough to remember the Visa/passport check. Traditionally, I fly with one airline and receive all my boarding passes at the first airport. You've been very helpful and I will definitely keep this in my mind when traveling Ryanair.

Appreciate it! Happy travels!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

I've always had the airline print boarding passes for me when I arrive and I do not check in online

=======

There are many many downsides, and no upside at all, to waiting until you get to the airport to check in. Hence, you should always checkin online if you can.

You dont have to print boarding passes as part of checking in, you can still get those at the airport, UNLESS its with one of the handful of airlines that insist you do or substantially fine you, Ryanair being one of those.

Bromsgrove, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Yes, same booking

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

"Thankfully I have traveled in Europe enough to remember the Visa/passport check."

Umm The Visa check is unique to Ryanair. Be very, very clear about that because if you don't comply you won't be allowed to board your flight (assuming you have a US or other non-EEA passport)..

Before you go through security you MUST go to wherever it is that Ryanair does the visa check at the particular airport. At Stansted there is a podium at the entrance to the check in queue, at some airports it's at a check in desk, at others (e.g. Luton) it can be done at the customer service desk. Your passport will be looked at and if everything is in order you will get a stamp on your boarding pass.

As I said, DO NOT go through security without that stamp or you will not be allowed to board.

England
Level Contributor
254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

I travelled Ryanair in May and prebooked seats, we were the only three people in the back 5 rows, was bliss!!

UK
Level Contributor
132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Just a note on ryanair - they are very very strict on hand luggage size and weight and also their bag size is narrower than almost every other airline

Ayr
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Thanks for that post and explanation. When I checked in this evening (Weds 17 Sept) for our flight on Friday 19th I selected the option not to pay for seats so, when I completed check in, I was surprised to see we had two seats assigned together. I immediately thought I'd clicked the wrong box and had inadvertently paid and began to re-check my booking. This is really a good move for Ryanair. Hopefully it will stopp the stampede at the gates.

68. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 18:36

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,091 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

you have already posted this elsewhere! and who actually cares what anyone says on facebook!

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Thought this was interesting and related to this topic. Was it really necessary to seat a 3 year old child away from the parents or was this done to punish those who refuse to pay for these extras?:

moneysavingexpert.com/news/…

Edited: 17 June 2015, 07:27
Reply to: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted