We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

TA has removed a few posts in the rouge seat pitch thread and have now closed it. Their reasoning is as follows " TripAdvisor staff has closed this topic because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to off-topic chat. Please limit conversations to subject matter directly related to the host forum. For example: when in the London forum, please stick to topics that relate to travel within the London Metropolitan Area." Since this is in the Air travel forum and on a thread dealing with those who have travelled on rouge, it should meet the guidelines.

It's easy to say 'don't fly them' but some of the routes that have been rouged do not have reasonable alternatives. What do you say to people that have bought tickets with Air Canada or used their Aeroplan miles at FULL cost to later find out that they have been rouged and end up on a no frills carrier?

cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2454776083/

Good interview ehkolie, thanks for representing the rest of us. It will be interesting if and when complaints start to go into the competition bureau. I also read on TA that a passenger has contacted his lawyer.

I would suggest to anyone considering buying a ticket on new rouge route, Hawaii from YVR, that they chat with some people in the Barbados forum. They have experienced it first hand so at least you could make an informed decision.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

bizarre, that is what, the third large thread that was critical of AC Rouge that TA has deleted. would love to understand why

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

Excellent topic and well presented, NC! Surely, it is not responsible business practice to sell a service and then provide customers with an alternate (and inferior) one. Here, the element of choice is non existent. In addition, when the previous routes that one has flown on (such as Barbados), ALL become Rouge flights, then the choice element is severely diminished as well.

When Rouge started up, I thought they offer "budget" travel as an option, and would not simply replace so many AC flights. That puts a different spin on the element of choice and indeed the trust relationship between the service provider and its clients.

3. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 17:05
Canada
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

I have never seen so many post deletions or thread closures! Some threads on other forums and topics go on and on, sometimes off topic as well, without TA interceptions to this degree.

The rouge Facebook page is closed to comments, referring people to Air Canada's customer care department. And AC/facebook is currently being inundated by utube links to a video of someone's 11 minute list of AC customer service issues.

As well, I think that there are currently other AC issues with flight passes and upgrades.

Never mind the term "being rouged" as a derogatory comment.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
816 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

I too have never seen so many deletions of posts/threads on what is clearly an on-topic discussion of an *airline* on an *Air Travel* forum. It's hugely disrespectful to TA users who are after all providing the content that generates income for this company. They even deleted the original post in one thread which simply asked if anyone had ever flown rouge, although they later reinstated it.

I think TripAdvisor should accept that people are very angry about having prebooked AC flights "rouged" (it happened to us too) as well as highly dissatisfied with rouge service and comfort and are seeking alternatives. They can keep shutting down threads but new ones are going to continue to appear as long as this is the case.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

ronniecat, my post was deleted, when I asked what people thought about the safety on the Rouge planes, in terms of so many more being "crammed" in. It's a logical question and fair enough to ruminate on: After all, in an emergency you may only have seconds to evacuate. It would take 50 or 100 more people that much longer to get out, especially if they're tripping out of their seats.

I had every right in the world to post that topic. I had not say "Rouge is unsafe....etc" and even if I did, it is my opinion and isn't that what this forum is about?

Some of the responses were incredibly hostile, as in how dare I question the safety. But for heaven's sake, there is nothing wrong with questioning. It's when things are not challenged that problems arise. I feel it was very unfair, and I agree with you; it was just one more post that was deleted on the subject of Rouge. I should point out that there have been other OP's who said that they wondered what it would be like to evacuate a plane that was so crammed. I certainly would not want anyone to be in that situation.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

All of this is now being discussed on FlyerTalk. TA , rouge or Air Canada cannot censor that site and a moderator has suggested that FT would not censor. The only other forum where I have seen so much censorship and thread deletion is the Roatan forum regarding safety. Another very important and needed subject.

ronnie where has the deleted thread been re-instated?

Melvey rouge was never intended to be a discount airline just a no frills airline. The ticket prices are the same or more than the Air Canada prices and can easily be seen when looking at routes where United also flies. The rouge and United prices are the same. Even if you compare the YYZ-BGI and YYZ-YUL-BGI the prices are the same yet there is the flight from YYZ to YUL and Montreal gets full service mainline equipment and Toronto gets rouge. I guess one could say Toronto has been rouged! lol

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

As a fyi, I reported #3 for advertising. It genuinely had nothing whatsoever to do with Rouge.

Now, I'm off to watch the video.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

And for those who want to leave a comment on Skytrax and tell the world how you really feel about Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, go to this web site:

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_can.htm

10. Re: For those who have flown Air Canada's rouge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2016, 07:15