We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happens when i leave airport after flight?

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What happens when i leave airport after flight?

I'm travelling to New York next week for the first time and know what the routine is when i board the plane to New York but what happens once i arrive in NewYork? Is there like Customs? And how do i know where i need to go?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,765 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What happens when i leave airport after flight?

When you arrive in New York, there will be signs everywhere directing you where to go. You did not say where you are coming from but assuming this is an international flight, generally when you walk off the plane, the only place you'll be able to go is down a hall to immigration. You'll wait in a line to talk to an immigration agent. Then you'll pass into baggage claim where you'll get your checked luggage. Then the only way out of baggage claim will be through customs. Customs in the USA is usually very quick. You'll have been given a form to fill out on the plane. At customs, you give your form to an agent and as long as you are not bringing in anything prohibited or taxable, which most tourists are not, they'll waive you through.

Once you pass customs, you'll be in the arrivals hall and that's the first time you'll have to determine where to go next. At that point it'll depend where you want to go, whether you're transferring or need a taxi or whether someone is meeting you.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What happens when i leave airport after flight?

You get off the aircraft, you go to and clear immigration, you retrieve your bag, you clear customs and you leave the airport.

Now you do have an ESTA in place don't you?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What happens when i leave airport after flight?

make sure you have an ESTA

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What happens when i leave airport after flight?

Yep I've got my ESTA Visa.

Thanks both of you for the help.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,707 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What happens when i leave airport after flight?

Based on your question I'm assuming you are visiting New York - if so and you need a cab then do not be tempted by unlicensed cab touts who have a habit of operating in and around airports looking for unwary tourists.

Make sure you follow the signs to the official cab lines to avoid getting ripped off.

6. Re: What happens when i leave airport after flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 07:16