We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Just out of curiosity, I was on an 7.50 am from Istanbul to Brussels this morning. It was an airbus 321. Three seats either side. I was in the aisle seat and the only female in the row of six occupied seats, Of the five men in my row , 3 of them would be classified as obese or morbidly obese. It resulted in some serious snoring.

The snoring was terrible . Without exaggeration. These guys were very loud indeed, I'm not kidding, all five, and snoring in tandem. The overweight gents the loudest. It meant I could not sleep. It was that loud. People in the rows behind were laughing and raising their eyebrows at me as I looked around.. Cabin crew looked and walked on.

It's not a major deal, I sat quietly and said nothing, but how do you deal with it? Should cabin crew do something when snoring is really loud and disturbing other pax? Should I do something as the person in the row with them?

I sat there, very tired, listening to them, wondering,..do we just put up with this? Should cabin crew shake these people gently if their snoring is so loud it disturbs many other people?

I'm curious to know what others have done or would do in this scenario...and thoughts on cabin crew responsibility to ensuring other pax have a peaceful flight.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Irritating - but you can't really do anything.

Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Well, I've yet to find an airline that allows me to use my cpap while on ovenight transatlantic flights. You get stuck with my snoring as a result. Not much I can do about it I am afraid. Believe me, if I could do something other than my machine I would. I use noise cancelling headphones on flights to drown out pretty much everything around me

I generally fly in pods overseas though so hopefully that deafens it a bit. That said. On my last long flight (not overseas and not in pod), I mentioned to the lady beside me that I have sleep apnea and I apologized in advance if I snored. She was cool actually and asked if I wanted her to poke me if she noticed I stopped breathing. Pretty awesome of her actually.

An excellent flight followed.

However...about the farting. I wish everyone would think to invest in a package of oval, or beano or gasx...whatever. I have been on some flights where I swear the paint was going to peel.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

No body deliberately snores. I have been on flights with snorers ( night flights) and while it is annoying, you use earplugs, noise canceling headphones or you grit your teeth. I would not expect anyone to wake the individual.

No Farters--I'm not sure. Sometimes it is just another normal body activity. If a person knows they are gassy, they will hopefully think about what they eat before flying.

Those with BO ( or smelly feet who remove shoes) are a whole other story. While i have yet to gather the nerve to suggest someone learn to shower prior to boarding--it is tempting. I do, when writing on destination forums ( as to some others) remind the individual who is checking out of their hotel in the AM, spending the whole day touring and going straight to the airport, that they may want to rethink their plans out of consideration for others on the plane!

If someone starts to lean in my space ( doesn't happen anymore, but back when I flew economy) I have no qualms about pushing them over.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

How do you stop somebody from snoring, apart from stopping them from falling asleep the entire flight ?.

As for flatulence on flights, I've twice experienced terrible problems with it, no smells luckily, as far as I'm aware, but huge build-up's of bodily gases, which had to be expelled, with little I could do to prevent it, no matter how hard I tried.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Oh, I feel for you Froggy... but nothing can be done short of chartering your own private flight! :)

Come to think of it though, I think they would actually be pretty embarrassed if they knew what a racket they were making, but can't help it.

I've also come across dust masks with active carbon in the fibers at a DIY store somewhere. Its used to reduce vapors when working with paint. I sure wish I had them on one flight when some girl took off her boots in the row next to mine, oblivious to the wrinkled noses of everyone close by!

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

On an overnight flight, I always ask the attendant to give me a gentle nudge if I start to snore. They have always obliged in doing this. The reason I do this is because I am very conscious of annoying other passenger. In most cases on an overnight flight, I try to avoid sleeping as I know I can be loud.

If I am flying economy, it is a different situation. As there are so many people, there would be many other snorers and less attendants. In any case, my aisle seat usually gets bumped every 2 minutes anyway by people holding the headrest as they walk passed so negates the need for attendant intervention

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,547 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

I feel your pain Froggy. Being tired but sleep deprived can lead to justifiable homicide.

I find noise canceling headphones with some relaxing music turned to a high volume keeps out most sounds - even crying babies - but, surprisingly, still allows me to fall asleep. The emitters of bodily gases are another story altogether!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,053 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

I carry clothes pins and when they snore one will go on their nose.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,547 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Breathing through the mouth rather than through the nose is what causes snoring in the first place, so your clothes pin remedy will only make it worse. :-0)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

I guess for early morning short hauls, I just need to remember my earplugs in future. Little else for it really, can't keep prodding them.

Hubby only snores when he's had a few, which is not that often, and I have no qualms about prodding him awake, lol, so when you are not used to it, and sitting right in the midst of five blokes snoring their heads off, it's quite something. I can see why some of the other pax were amused by the little scenario though,:-))