We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Just out of curiosity, I was on an 7.50 am from Istanbul to Brussels this morning. It was an airbus 321. Three seats either side. I was in the aisle seat and the only female in the row of six occupied seats, Of the five men in my row , 3 of them would be classified as obese or morbidly obese. It resulted in some serious snoring.

The snoring was terrible . Without exaggeration. These guys were very loud indeed, I'm not kidding, all five, and snoring in tandem. The overweight gents the loudest. It meant I could not sleep. It was that loud. People in the rows behind were laughing and raising their eyebrows at me as I looked around.. Cabin crew looked and walked on.

It's not a major deal, I sat quietly and said nothing, but how do you deal with it? Should cabin crew do something when snoring is really loud and disturbing other pax? Should I do something as the person in the row with them?

I sat there, very tired, listening to them, wondering,..do we just put up with this? Should cabin crew shake these people gently if their snoring is so loud it disturbs many other people?

I'm curious to know what others have done or would do in this scenario...and thoughts on cabin crew responsibility to ensuring other pax have a peaceful flight.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Snoring is bad on its own. Often on night flights the pax falls asleep with headphones on. Those eventually slide off, then you get music you dont like to hear plus snoring. You might as well have saved yourself the money for business and flatbed. I have once in a while woken a snoring pax when it got too loud.

NH
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

I was sitting next to a "Chatty Charlie" who was talking non-stop to his buddy across the aisle on a red-eye. ...And not in a quiet or hushed volume.

I tapped him on the shoulder, excused myself for the interruption, and reminded him it was the middle of the night and that others were trying to rest.

Rudely, he asked if his talking was bothering me. Not backing down I sat up right, looked him in the eye and told him, "Yes."

He shut up and went to sleep.

I would not be ashamed to politely wake someone who was snoring and let them know they were disrupting the sleep of other. ...We all share this "planet" together.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,461 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Kudos to you allfin I would have done the same thing I just hope the airlines don't allow cell phones on the planes that would be a disaster and probably lead to many disagreements.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

I think even if they do, it will be as expensive as it is now for the fixed line calls available on many flights.

Many flights now have telephones on the back of the remotes and you can make calls. No one really does because it's so very expensive, you'd have to be really desperate to do it.

If they do it and make it as cheap as on land local calls, then yes,it could be problematic, but if think that's a long way off.

NH
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Cell phones on planes would be a HUGE mistake! People are already so "touchy" and edgy while traveling can you imagine what would happen if you throw cell phone "rudies" into the fray?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,356 posts
1,226 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

I always carry some of those poly-plastic film "cleaners bags." You know the ones that have "suffocation hazard" printed on them? When the cabin lights are dimmed, I sneak up on the snorer(s) and place the bag over their heads, securing them around the neck...

Actually, I have not really encountered much of this, and hope that I am not a guilty party.

Now, on a recent LHR - SFO flight in BFC on UA, I did have the guy in the pod behind me get up and proceed to talk rather loudly to a "friend" from back in the plane - right at my head. They did this for about 4 hours, and also blocked the aisle to the lav. for everyone in the smaller, forward section of BFC, not bothering to move aside, when anyone needed to use the facilities. Wish that I had had a couple of cleaners bags!

Hunt

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

actually,,,that reminds me, people who just randomly stop mid aisle when you are rushing through the airport, they just randomly and suddenly stop in the middle of the walkway. You have to suddenly stop to avoid them or walk right into them. I find that a bit annoying. Happens in the street or in shops too, one minute they are walking, next they just stop and block the way.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

I always travel with good earplugs in addition to my noise reducing headphones. On my last long haul i wore a scarf made out of stretch cotton sewn into a loop, it was the best thing. I wrapped it around my face when smells wafted through, i put i over my eyes to block out light and i also used it like a sling to stop my arms sliding as i fell asleep.

On the way home there was a bay of 4 empty seats in the middle row which a person quickly asked the FA if they could move into, quick as a flash this woman says "oh no, my husband needs that, he is not well, his blood pressure is playing up. So he gets the seats, spreads out on the day time flight and snores all the way home. Thank goodness for my earplugs but doesn't make it so easy to talk to your companion. I was pleased that when the wife tried to get a blanket the FA said she would need to pay for one- they didn't bother.

NH
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

Those people who stop short in front of you in hallways are everyplace! They must have a "ME" complex. "The world revolves around ME!

I don't understand that kind of attitude.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,356 posts
1,226 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Snorers on a plane,,,,,how do you deal with it?

<<that reminds me, people who just randomly stop mid aisle when you are rushing through the airport>>

Froggy,

I thought that was a totally USA thing. Please do not tell me that they are elsewhere too! I find that many such pax are either on a phone, or texting, when they stop - or wander from edge to edge of a concourse.

Luckily, I am seldom in a rush, but do have a rather long stride, and am focused on getting from A to B, while trying to leave a pathway for those who ARE in a hurry. I flat hate folk who wander, or stop without a signal... [insert laugh here]

Hunt