We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines meal on red eye flight

Indianapolis...
13 posts
Save Topic
United Airlines meal on red eye flight

We leave in a few days for London, and our stated meal on board our United red-eye flight is "dinner." It would seem to make more sense to serve breakfast on a 9-hour overnight flight, arriving at 10am London time. Has anyone experienced this, are you served the meal close to departure in the late evening, or is the "dinner" served in the morning a few hours before landing? Thanks.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,643 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

You get a hot meal e.g. (meat/pasta, salad, dessert) a couple of hours after take off and a cold breakfast (muffin, yogurt etc,) about an hour before landing.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

Eat before you get on the plane and try to sleep through the stuff they claim is dinner

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,818 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

They serve you dinner a couple of hours after departure.

Then I'd go to sleep. When you wake up they'll serve a snack/breakfast before landing.

I have found that the dinner is edible but the breakfast is not so much.

Airline food is not a gourmet experience! It is really just something to do while in the air.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

CarolLee is so right !

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

The worst meal I've ever had on an airline was US-LHR on UA a couple months ago. Inedible. Eat before you get on the flight and skip the meal.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,657 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

What cabin-class are you flying? That can make a difference.

On UA, in BFC, SFO - LHR, the first meal is one of 3 - 4 choices, and hot. There is a cheese-course (w/ Port, if desired), and usually an ice-cream sundae. During the flight, there are sandwiches, or other "snacks" available in the galley. Then, about 1.5 hrs. out, breakfast is served with usually two choices, a "Continental-style" breakfast, or an Omelette w/ "Death Sausages." There is a Frittata-like thingy with Broccoli. I recommend skipping the Sausage, unless you have Tums handy for Passport Control & Customs, but that is just me.

Personally, I like the LHR - SFO return's breakfast, as there are some decent Scones & Clotted Cream.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,938 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

Eat a good dinner before your flight I totally agree airplane food not that great.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

I always carry my own food on any US airline.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

Assuming this is economy, the meal quality can very a lot. Never fantastic, but sometimes okay and others not good at all. I've just flown SFO-Beijing in Y and the meals on that flight were actually quite good.

But, if you're flying from either the east coast or mid west (Chicago) you're only talking 6.5 to7.5 hours in the air anyway, so either eating before the flight or taking snacks will help. On those flights I try to get sleep from the moment the flight departs, so I usually decline the evening meal (especially if I'm in business).

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines meal on red eye flight

Airline meals can be hit and miss in any cabin class, but normally there is enough to eat on the tray if the main dish part is not good. I struggle to recall going hungry over any flight and of course, worst case, usually there is duty free where you can buy chocolates or something,,when flying long haul if desperation sets in.

Personally I never find the food a big deal, or even remotely interesting on any flight and genuinely struggle with why so many people are so focused on it.