We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

esta please help

1 post
Save Topic
esta please help

In september travelling from gatwick uk to orlando have applied for my esta and been accepted. It says I do not print anything but how will they know I have been accepted at the airport? Is it to do with the chip in my passport, if so then how will my boyfriends work because his passport doesn't have a chip in it.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,148 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: esta please help

They have access to the database. What would a printout prove anyway - anyone can mock up a printout

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: esta please help

As long as your ESTA has been approved then you are good to go - the airline will know your ESTA has been approved, you don't need any paperwork or print outs but I always have details of my ESTA Application Number just in case.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
569 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: esta please help

The key to this is in the name. The 'E' in ESTA stands for 'electronic'. So your acceptance is stored on an electronic base and the staff at the airport when you check in for your flight will have access to this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: esta please help

I always take a print just in case, so I have the application number. However as others have said it's not necessary, it's electronic and I've never been asked for it.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: esta please help

The system's simply really. When you apply for an ESTA you submit your name, nationality, and passport number (amongst other things). Before you fly, you're supposed to go onto the airline's website and provide the same information (APIS). Before you even get to the airport, the check-in staff know whether you have an ESTA or not as the two sets of information have been matched. Of course not everyone needs one - you might have a traditional "stamped in the passport" visa for instance, or various other official permissions to enter the US even though you aren't a citizen.

6. Re: esta please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:17