We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

I can choose a seat assignment from DuBois Pa to Cleveland but not from Cleveland to Toronto.

Which is Air Canada. Seats are assigned in Cleveland. Has anyone done this and then got bumped. As a rule I never book flights without a confirmed seat assignment.

Any comments appreciated.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

I don't know why you can't. I just tried on that route for July and they are operated by AC Express (Jazz) and was able to. Maybe that flight is full with no more seat selection available except upon check in is left for your dates?

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

I'm assuming that you've booked this through United. If you had tried to book this through the Air Canada website instead, you would have been able to select the seats online for the second leg of your trip, but not for the first leg operated by United. Now that you have your booking, you should just call Air Canada reservations and see if they can assign a seat for you.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 21:03
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,370 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

Would be good to know the full routing and carriers to answer. But going on CDH's assumption, it's not at all unusual when booking code shares that there are different booking capabilities or requirements on seats. In some cases, a code share partner may not allow seat booking until a certain date out from travel or it may need to be done correctly. As suggested, call Air Canada.

Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

if you can get the air canada reservation code you can do it online. You may have a ridiculously long wait with air canada on the phone. Call whomever you booked with (assuming united) and ask for the confirmation code for air canada. go onto the AC website to manage my bookings. type in the code plus name where indicated. It may prompt you on the top saying "it appears you made your booking elsewhere......" click the link and punch in the confirmation code and name again and see if that works.

If not you will have to call Air Canada. Unless it was a tango fare you should be able to book a seat number.

Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

or send a private message to either the AC twitter team or facebook team. Both are quite excellent actually and may be able to help you out. I hate the AC Rouge product but I have zero issues with the CS team at either of the above

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,975 posts
1,455 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

We used to face the same issue, when doing codeshare between UA & US. As we booked through UA, we could do seat assignments, but not for any US legs. All it took was a call to US, with all of the information, and assignments were promptly made.

I would call AC, with the full ticket/flight data, and request seat assignment, if possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

Or just don't worry about it. You have a confirmed seat (at least until they decide to bump you) just not an assigned seat. No biggie. You'll get your assignment when you get to the airport. Chuck.

8. Re: Air Canada not allowing seat assign. during booking.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:16