We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't Buy Flight Insurance

Jackson, New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Don't Buy Flight Insurance

It would be less frustrating and just as cost effective to burn your money. Travel Guard (AIG member) denied our claim for a trip cancelled on January 7, 2014 when I received word that my mother was gravely ill. She died on January 13, 2014. I sent the death certificate and explanation to Travel Guard. The reason: she dies after the date of the flight. Seriously? What is the purpose of flight insurance other than to take your money?

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
621 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

What sort of policy did you purchase? Do the terms of the policy state that you can be paid if an immediate family member, not on the flight, is taken ill?

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

Aside from the title of your post (which is totally reckless advice), I sympathise with your situation.

Most policies definitely cover the situation you describe, therefore:

A) You describe the situation incorrectly

B) You did not purchase a policy that covers this situation

C) YOur insurer is playing games with you (and a lot of them do this). If you have read your policy and still believe you are covered then there are avenues of pursuing this. Do not let them get away with it. Be sure of the facts before pursuing.

It is important to remember that if your mother showed signs of illness before you purchased your travel insurance, then in most cases they have every right to deny your claim. If, however, your mother became ill all of a sudden with no pre-existing condition evident then you really should pursue.

It is very difficult to judge your situation from here, and I suggest you get independent advice if your policy states it would cover it.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

Hi,

I wholly agree with #2

Sure, like all for-profits, they are in business to make money - and for insurers that's to collect maximum premiums, achieve maximum returns on the premiums they invest in various investments, as well as minimizing claim payouts..

So, sure they do have a vested interest here - and one that's essentially "180" to yours..

That said, I do also believe that cases #2 or #3 are probably where your issue falls.

Insurance really is a "devils in the details" issue... What you or I might think or believe is a covered event really isn't relevant -- it's all based on what does the policy wording exactly say..

So, I think you need to go back and take a close hard read of the full policy wording and see what is and is not covered and with what conditions or limits.

If you find they are not paying a claim that the policy explicitly provides for, I might suggest you see if your state has an insurance regulator or similar body.

Insurance is usually quite tightly regulated at the State level, so I bet your state will have some agency that might be able to assist IF a legitimate claim isn't being paid.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 13 May 2014, 01:22
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

I am sorry to hear about your mom.

Your title is ridiculous. I have found Travelguard to be a reliable company that pays claims in a prompt manner for covered reasons.

I don't know what policy you purchased. Most people seem to purchase the Gold Plan. The Gold Plan for residents of New Jersey states:

Sickness or Injury of a Family Member not traveling with the Insured must be because their condition is life threatening as certified by a Physician, or they require the Insured's immediate care. Such disability must be so disabling as to reasonably cause a Trip to be canceled or interrupted and must be certified by a Physician."

If you did not meet the above requirements, TG will not pay this claim. You may want to check with the physician who completed this paperwork, as they sometimes do not fill it out correctly. If you feel the claim was denied in error, your time would be better spent filing an appeal, not complaining on TripAdvisor.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

Perhaps you forgot to add a few words to the title of your thread?

'Don't buy Flight Insurance without reading the Policy first'.

We got caught out too. Fortunately my mum didn't pass away at the time, but the Insurance company refused to pay our expenses because she was over 80 at the time of her emergency hospitalization. It was all there in B&W but we has missed it. I do understand though. When you've lost a close relative, arguing with an insurance company is the last thing you want to do.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

I would also check to see if there is a clause that says pre existing conditions are not covered (since they usually aren't). I don't know if your mom had one, but that might be another reason.

I am sorry for your loss though.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

If OP purchased the policy within 15 days of the initial deposit for this trip, Travelguard waives the "pre-existing condition" clause.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,483 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

My policy (not TG) covers me and my wife including *declared* medical conditions. It also covers cancelation due to death or injury of close family members and other dependents whether or not it was the result of an existing condition. The list includes aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews etc. Not really practical to ask perhaps dozens of people about existing conditions in order to buy a policy.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

This is why it's so important to read your policies fine print as it varies from company to company and even within the same company between different plans. Noone can know for sure what the OP was covered for and more than likely they just weren't covered for this whether it non traveling companions not included, no pre existing conditions,etc. (Ours does say that immediate family members are covered unless they have a pre existing). It is a lesson learned though to read it very carefully, but again, we are sorry for your loss.

10. Re: Don't Buy Flight Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:17