We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

Busan, South Korea
4 posts
Save Topic
Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

I am planning a trip from Melbourne, Australia to Busan, Korea with Air Asia. There is a 1hour 40minute time difference between the scheduled arrival time of the plane from Melbourne in KL and the connecting flight's departure time for Busan. I am worried whether this is enough time to make the connecting flight in the case of a flight delay. The flight is a fly thru so I will not need to go through immigration and my baggage will be checked through from Melbourne to Busan. Air Asia also states it's travel insurance policy is not available with this flight.

In the case of a delay what is the minimum time period between arrival and departure I would need to make my next flight. Also, is there anyway I could possibly check the average arrival and departure times of the above flights before making a final decision.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,379 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

On a Fly Thru ticket AirtAsia has procedures to fast track passengers through to their connecting flight. If they are selling this as a regular Fly Thru route with a 1 hour 40 minute transit time, they must be confident it is enough unless, of course, there is a delay in which case they accept the responsibility to put you on the next available flight. Bear in mind also that from June the new KLIA2 Low Cost Carrier airport, the largest in the world, will replace the current Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT). That should improve transit times as passengers will embank and disembark through air bridges not, in some cases, very long walks between the terminal and the aircraft.

If you thought that 1 hr 40 minutes was not enough you would only probably book the next flight anyway probably at greater cost than a Fly Thru ticket.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

In the case of a delay what is the minimum time period between arrival and departure I would need to make my next flight.

-------

Well that would depend entirely upon tne length of the delay !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

I think he is asking how much of a delay could he tolerate and still make his connection......:-))

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

Actually rereading it,I think it's neither what I thought or you think. I believe he's simply asking what is the shortest time you can make a connection in. The words "in case of a delay" cause the confusion.

Eg can you make a connection in 30 minutes or 40 minutes or one hours, etc. Depends if you have luggage I suppose. And also what happens on the day.

Rather than worry about the minimum time etc I think they key thing is, what are the consequences of a miss. If you will miss a wedding or a job interview, you'd allow more time than if you will just be a few hours late getting to your hotel.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,379 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

I thought the question was simply is 1hr 40 minutes on an AirAsia Fly Thru ticket enough to make the second flight at LCCT in Kuala Lumpur is enough if the flight is not unreasonably delayed. Based on my expreience of FlyThru my view is yes and that AirAsia would not offer it as a regular FlyThru ticket if it wasn't.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

Just to update that LCCT is now closed. AirAsia has moved to the new terminal, KLIA2 or KUL Terminal 2, since 9th May.

The new terminal is quite big (it's the largest low cost carrier terminal) - very much unlike the old LCCT - so much so AirAsia has been advising those departing from KLIA2 to arrive 3 hours before flying (although check-ins still close like previously). I'm not sure about the minimum transfer time for KLIA2 though.

For on-time performance, you can check here:

http://www.airportia.com

7. Re: Minimum time needed for an Air Asia fly thru at LCCT in KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:16